Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did I break my T-case? I'm an idiot!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MilpitasK5, Oct 22, 2002.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Did I break my T-case? I\'m an idiot!

I was flipping through my Chilton last night and looking up some info. on my t-case.
    In the section for "Locking Hubs", there was instruction that says:
    "Unlocking should only take place when the t-case lever is in the two wheel drive position. The hubs should be placed in the full Lock or full Free position or damage will result."
    I'm not sure if I have followed those steps all the time. What type of damage will result? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.
    What can I do to inspect my t-case? I was almost embarassed (sp) to post this message cause it's pretty stupid /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif but I thought I'd better anyway.

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

I had another post going these last few days about my t-case slipping and needing adjustment. I also noted that it has been grinding when pushing it in and out of 4wd /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Re: Did I break my T-case? I\'m an idiot!

I wouldn't worry about it much. If your 4wd system is still working you are ok, but if you want to make sure, you could check the hubs.
    Usually if you try to unlock them while in 4wd mode, you can't because the bind. But as long as you unlock them without braking them, and you would know if you did /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif then you're fine.
    Now driving with them unlocked and in 4wd can sometimes wear off the hubs, it happened to me with one truck, and I am not sure why. It was a full time 203 that had manual locking hubs ( I put them there ) and drove it in lock.
    As it says in your post, full lock or free, that is true, never leave it half way locked, damage will result, but I guess you knew that right? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dunno where or why they came up with that for manual hubs.

You can leave the thing in 2wd with the hubs locked, so the only difference in 4wd would be that you are turning all the components EXCEPT the wheels. Big deal.

I put mine in 4LO anytime I'm backing up a trailer so I don't have to clutch so often.

4. MilpitasK5

That's pretty relieving!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    But what about that grinding that I've been getting?

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Is the grinding from the T-case or the hubs?
    If it's the case, check for the oil level, if it's the hubs, you could have what I had, worn hubs /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Seriously, I wore out my hubs running them unlocked with 4wd engaged all the time, and I am talking highway at 80MPH for years.
    I just took them apart, cleaned them up, greased them and slapped them back in, they still work and I don' have them unlocked anymore when in 4wd.

6. MilpitasK5

It sounds like it's coming from the t-case. I'll check the fluids! I'm pretty sure it's full b/c I checked about a month ago...
    Thanks