Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did I burn up my tranny?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, May 28, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a TH350 in a truck that I drove around on some powerline roads with on Sunday. I pushed the truck harder than usual. My temp guage went up to 230 degrees a couple of times (and I couldnt shut it off, otherwise it wouldnt be able to be started for an hour or so). The truck doesnt have an external tranny cooler.

It was all fine, until I went to turn around and climb up a bank. It started slipping, then wouldnt move at all. I added some fluid, to top it off, but it didnt do a thing. After towing it back it sat overnight, and I fired it up this morning. It went right into gear and drove for about 2000 feet, then lost all gears again. An hour later, fired it up and backed up 800 feet, then wouldnt move again.

I dont know much about automatics. Did the heat kill the tranny? Or did me pushing the truck hard with the T-case in high over-do it? Or both?

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Pull the trans dipstick out and smell the fluid. If it's dark and burnt smelling you fried the fluid and maybe the trans. If it's burnt then change the fluid and filter, maybe you'll be lucky and save the trans but I doubt it. Sounds like you fried it. Now the cost of a external cooler wouldn't seem so much compared to the cost of redoing the trans.

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

The fluid smelled burnt, but not too badly. It was still red, and hadnt turned a dark color yet. I have a few tranny coolers in the garage, just hadnt taken time to put one on. I may try a fluid/filter change.