Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did i buy the wrong thing?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Jan 24, 2002.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I have been reading some of the post about towing with a K5, and if the main reason I got my 91 K5 is to tow a 4000lbs boat, should i have got a truck? In the summer i plan on removing the hard top and the glass and all the power window stuff, so that should make the rear of the truck lighter. I will mostly tow the boat no more the 60 miles to the lake, and will do that about 3 times a month. I am sure i will be ok, but?

Thanks!!

91 K5 and 73 Cobalt http://brettmcox.rockcrawler.com

2. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

You just got the wronge boat, you got the right truck. Drop the boat off here and I will use it for you.

72 Blazer 400TPI NV4500 NP203/205, 6 bolt FF14
    01 Suburban 8100 2500 4X4

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

You will be fine, just keep the tranny cool and probably wouldn't hurt to put in an oil cooler...Does you boat trailer have brakes? (I am assumeing yes because of the weight of the boat) I think you will be fine...
    Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

4. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

my k5 used to tow a mastercraft 210 down the road at 70 just fine.....

just remember to empty all your fat sacks! making the truck tow 2000 lbs of ballast water isin't nice!

greg

* keep the greasy side down *

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Get a big tranny cooler and you should be ok. My dad used to tow a 16 foot trailer that was pretty heavy, and the only problem was side to side sway. He had a stabilizer bar put on the trail and it towed great, except for the 305 but thats a different problem that has already been fixed.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> One f the reasons I bought my Blazer was to tow my 2 ATV's around and maybe my Dad's bass boat a few times too. Have a good tranny cooler and the right gearing for the tires and you should be o.k. ........... Another reason I bought it was the fact that K5's rule !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> monkeys steal my underwear at night

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

First of all, 4000 lbs isn't too heavy for your K5. That said, here's some advice:

1. Never tow in OD. Like the guys said above, install a good quality stacked-plate auxilliary tranny cooler and keep your ATF clean.

2. Tow your boat on a dual axle trailer. SIngle axle trailers sway a lot more. Consider investing in a weight-distribution/anti-sway set-up- this will virtually eliminate trailer sway caused by the short wheelbase of a K5. Also make sure your truck is equipped with a good brake controller like the Tekonsha Voyager.

3. What gears do you have? I wouldn't tow 4000lbs with anything less than 3.42s, depending on tire size. It can be done, but your performance will greatly suffer.

Here's a couple of links to check out regarding towing equipment:

Reese homepage

The Reese homepage has a lot of background info that you may find interesting.

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Good point on the weight distribution/ Anti sway set up ........ it greatly improves the control of towing a trailer.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> monkeys steal my underwear at night

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a 18 foot Ski/fish boat on a single axle trailer. I tow it all over the Western USA with my K5. I have no problems at all. A trip to Lake Mead, Lake Powell or Lake Tahoe is almost 1000 miles round trip through the Hot desert and Tall mountains for me. The k5 does it every year no problem. This summer I plan on towing my boat to the North Calif. Coast. I have the urge to fish some BIG water. And catch some BIG Salmon.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Make sure you have low enough gears, good brakes, and a tranny cooler and you'll be good to go. I wouldn't even hitch up a trailer with any higher than 3.73 gears.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

My '85 has higher gears than that and it hauls ass with our boat on it. It pulls a 20 foot tit bed trailer fine We put our 77 mg midget on a trailer and it just rode smooth as silk on i-135 (same with a trailer full of sand). And it only has a 305 in it. [​IMG] I wouldn't be worried to hook up damn near anything to gears any lower than 3.42. (ofcourse tire size would play a roll)

'85 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. '84 k-5 gmc jimmy sierra. '70 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition shaker hood, steering column shift.

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree with Eddie(I never thought I'd say that[​IMG]). My 1/2 ton 6.2 has 3.42s and I used to tow my travel trailer with it all the time. It doesn't have the same staying power on long uphill pulls(we have some pretty nasty passes up here), but overall the 3.42s pulled almost as well as the 3.73s in my 305 Blazer.

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

13. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

My 83 has a tranny cooler and oil cooler, and it used to pull our 5000+ sea ray no prob. The only hitch (i know, bad pun) we ever ran into is when we hit a bump and the factory hitch sheared off the frame, leaving our boat in the street. Never gotten a factory chevy hitch since then. Always gone aftermarket and big as I can get (i.e. class V)

Shutup Brain or I'll stab you with a Q-Tip - Homer J. Simpson