Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

did i finally get lucky? opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Aug 16, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

found a guy on craigslist selling a 6.5TD from a 1996 chevy for $250, he says is has an "inner coolant leak" (what could that be?) so i inquired and asked if he has a tranny as well (4L80E) and he emailed back saying that he will sell the complete truck for $1600. unfortunately its 2wd, but is the only difference the output shaft? would it be easy to swap shafts with a 4wd shaft? since it has a diesel, it would have the stand alone computer correct? meaning it would be able to shift automatically (no need for manual valvebody)?

so for $1600, assuming it runs good, this is a good deal right? seems like the perfect opportunity to get all the parts i need for my diesel swap/ new tranny swap for next summer for the cost of a fully built 700r4

2. muddybuddy

is it worth it?

3. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

inner coolant leak ( speaking in gas engines) could be really bad. It could be a cracked block, a warped head, a cracked head, or simpily a blown head gasket.
    I dont know **** about the big D motors... hope this helps a little

4. muddybuddy

hopefully he miss typed and ment inner cooler leak...that would be an easy fix. does the price seem good?

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Could be a head gasket, worht looking into.....

6. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was thinking, Does it have a inter - cooler ?

7. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

you better not. I've got a 95 6.5 tdi decent tow rig, full of potential problems. They don't have intercoolers and are somewhat expensive to add and are in a terrible spot when mounted. Known peices to go bad. PMD/FSD (controls fuel) runs about 300 bucks, gose bad alot. Injector pump 800 bucks remanufactured. gose bad alot. injectors expensive ingeneral. Glow plugs I don't even want talk about those things. I've had my truck 4 about 3 years the pmd has gone bad twice. Its not a easy thing to fix. there are kits out there that are supposed to fix the problem but mainly just prolong inevitable failure. early trucks have overheating problems. There is a kit to fix this problem but it still runs hot when towing heavy loads. If it is a good truck to start out with Regular maintence (oil changes fuel filter changes fuel injector changes(every 100,000 miles) you'll get at least 300,000 miles out of that engine. But you have to drive it like you want to keep it not like you stole it.

Check out these forums and read the problems before you invest your money.
    www.dieseldoctor.com
    www.gm-diesel.com

Check this site out for cool hopups and preformance. I hate to say you'll find more here to get more hp than any other site. Banks only offers an exhaust.
    This guy has been dealing with these trucks/engines for years and he knows what he is doing. Plus prices arent that bad either. 350.00 bucks for a full length mandrel bent 4 in exhaust is a damn good price.

www.ssdieselsupply.com

I love my truck I just lifted it 6 in and I'm going to buy the 80 hp upgrade soon. But that engine isn't the greatest idea when you can get a D-max for 3000.00 new.
    Sorry

Check those sites great source of info on weather to buy or not.

The price dosen't sound bad as long as it runs and the coolant problem isn't that bad of a fix.

8. muddybuddy

a d-max for 3k new? where did you find a deal like that?!!?!

9. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Show me where :wink1:

10. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here at the company i work for one of our 6.5 blew a head gasket once after we replaced them with new heads and gaskets and to find out that it also cracked the block. The truck still runs but eats coolant. Just becareful i personal have a 97 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 6.5 and i love the truck ya its not the best but it does what i need.

11. muddybuddy

i like the 6.5 for the idea of getting decent gas milage, and also having options for performance, which isnt available with the 6.2

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Any performance option for the 6.5 can be done to the 6.2...

As far as the 4L80E it would not have a stand alone deal as the engine is computer managed (post 94)

No first hand experience with 6.5 IP's (regarding rebuild price) but the injectors are cheap, GP's are relatively cheap, and the IP i had built for my 6.2 wasn't spendy either. GP's just be sure to buy the constant duty style like the AC 60G's or the Kennedy Quick heats. Both run about $10 each but last a few years at least. My AC 60G's are three years old and two are dead...

Rene

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  13. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Did you just say $410 each? Thats individual glow plugs? :confused:

Or $410 for a set? :dunno:

14. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

maybe he means 4.10?

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Shift key error, fixed now. $10 each.

Rene

16. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

well I thought the Glow plugs were more expencive than that. oh well. Good luck