Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did I find a DEAL or what....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aandpman, Sep 1, 2003.

1. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifLast weekend I rolled into Austin Texas and found a 88 K-5 Silverado for sale. It had been sitting out for an hour when I found it. The guy only wanted $3800. 350 TBI/700R4(recently rebuilt)/3.08's and 32's.
    There is practically no rust and the interior is in wonderful shape (except for a little cigarette smoke odor).
    The dark spots on the rocker panels are just areas where the paint is missing, but no rust. The truck also just duals put on with dual cats, so its legal.

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

I've needed a replacement for the old TanK10 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif as it has no A/C (never had it) /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif and I'll be moving to Austin soon (where traffic is backed up in 100* weather....

Let me know if you think I got a good deal.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Nice looking K5! Nothing a little Krylon won't fix. Sounds like a sweet deal!

Kris

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

a rust free k5 is a beutifull thing!! id say you got a deal!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd say you didn't do too bad. Hopefully I can do better when I finally buy a K5.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The truck also just duals put on with dual cats, so its legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to drag this up again (it's been covered) but dual cats does not make dual exhaust legal. It is a *Federal* law, so it doesn't matter that the locals don't look in regards to legality.

Of course, if the local authorities don't care, I don't know who will, since I've never heard nor seen an EPA official checking a vehicle for emissions compliance.

Most areas with visual emissions checks should fail that vehicle. You can not change the amount of converters the vehicle came with (+ or -) with one exception, that being the swap of a newer drivetrain and all related emissions.

Not agreeing with the law, just citing it.

6. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for pointing that our, Dorian.....

Fortunately the smog NAZI's are only operating at this point in the counties around Dallas, Houston, and (I think) El Paso. Austin isn't afflicted yet. The rig has an inspection sticker on it from 08/03 and the exhaust looks to have been there a few months, So I'm assuming they either didn't look (highy likely) or didn't care.

7. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

These guys in Austin do a mean visual at the couple of places that I went to. Did not smog it though. I felled because my bright light indicator did not work, missing the aluminum tube for the heat riser to the air cleaner, and a headlight that had moisture in it. Don't under estimate these bastards!