Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did i get ripped off?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AntAZBlaz, Jun 30, 2003.

1. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

I was talking to a shop owner for over a week about what i wanted to do with a new engine i explained to him that it was an 86 350 blah blah blah and i told him that i wanted to use an edlebrock mpfi on a 383 that i would like him to build.

he said that he could build me a 383 that would pass emissions and i waent down to shop asked about which edelbrock system would work with the engine that he was building that would also work with my truck and he told me to call them for the best answer.

well i call and find out that i would not be able to buy an intake kit that work with this engine and still meet emissions and that for it to meet emissions i would basically need a complete tbi set up which could then be modified. the edelbroke guy also told me that the shop was going to be using the incorrect parts for what i wanted to do. i called the shop right back and told them to hold of on doing anything until i got these issues worked out. all of this took place over three hours.

i dont have the experience to do all of that so decided that the best thing to do would be to get a crate engine from gm and stick with a carb for now. so i called the place and told them that i did not want the engine built becasue i could not get what i was asking for. and then he proceeded to tell me about the 20% deposit that i would have to pay and i told him that. 1 no one ever mentioned a 20% deposit and 2 none of the paper work i signed stated anything about paying 20% deposit.

he told me that there was a sign out side of the store, and i dont know about you guys but when it's over 100 degress outside i dont stand out side the store reading all of the signs.

let me know what you think

king

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Most properly built engines will pass emissions as long as the fuel delivery system is set up right. I have seen well buit big blocks that have replaced stock 305/350's in cars pass emissions with flying colors. Im guessing edelbrock wont tell you there mpfi setup wont pass emissions because of libility and the federal laws that regulate emissions controls on vehicles. You know the whole thing about removing emissions equipment. Don't know what to tell you about the 20% deposit. But you can build an engine much cheaper than buying a crate motor, you just dont get the warrenty.

3. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

You'll have to check the emissions laws in your state, if you can get by with just a tailpipe test it will be a lot easier. I know in the two counties here that require emissions testing you must have all the equipment that came stock, i.e. EGR, cat, air pump, etc, but you can do anything as long as you have them and it passes the tailpipe test.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Did he start building the motor? If he didnt and you didnt sign anything than it is hearsay.

Dan

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

He doesn't have any of your money now, but is asking you to cough up 20% for work that he started already? Or did you give him money already? If you did not give him any money yet, and he started an engine anyway, screw him. He will not have done anything that he can't sell to someone else anyway.

6. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

hey didnt order or touch anything thats why i was kind of shoked that he would even bring something like that up.
    king

7. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

i paid for half of the engine cost. asked him about which intake would match what he was building he told me to call edelbrock i went home called edelbrock and i told him to not do anything at that point and i know that he didnt order anything becasue when i asked about changing heads he just said the parts would cost more. i'm going to have someone take a picture of the front of the store with the "sign" i was supposed to read and then i'm going to contact the BBB and i already called my credit card company. right now it looks like i paid 500 for 10 min of talking.

8. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I think that since you already partially paid him you entered a legal and binding contract. Most places that I know of, when you special order something or have something specially built they will ask you for some kind of a deposit.
    There use to be a lawyer that hung around this neck of the woods, hopefully he is still here and will chime in. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

As far as I know, a sign on the window does not constitute a legal binding contract. You signed a piece of paper and it doesn't mention 20%, I'd tell him to kiss off. It has to do with "disclosure" if I'm not mistaken. Go get your money back if you're not sure about this guy. Az smog laws are waaaaaaay to hit and miss.

10. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

i called the credit card company and told them about what was going on and they told me that as soon as the money posts i can get a credit so that it does not show on my credit and they will persue it for me after that. hopefully everything works out for me.
    king

11. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

well sound 2 me like the guy is trying 2 rip u off its up 2 u if ya let him or not though
    also sounds like he likes 2 lie about legality's smog no smog sound like b.s. 2 me any ways i would in no way in hell have this joker do any work 4 me ever and id report his scaming ass to the BBB and local chamber of commerce
    This is whay i do all my own stuff or only go to people that i know or have been recomended 2 by freinds mabe check in with some body here on the board see if they have a recomendation for ya thre local
    just my $.02.5 woth :-)
    Randy