Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did I Git Skrewd? Used BFG Mall Terrs 33x12.50-15 VGC 1/2 Tread How Much???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350350, Jul 17, 2004.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Well, it's been a while since I've been on a rant (at least here on CK5... rest assured I've been ranting elsewhere!) I posted recently that I needed a set of 33 or 35 inch tires to get me by another year until I can save up some cash to rebuild the front end of my truck and possibly regear or even pray for a miracle and dig up a D60/D70 setup.

Anyways, I got all excited today and found a set of 33x12.50-15 B.F. Goodrich Mall Terrains in Excellent condition and I may have made an impulse purchase. As the pictures below show, they must have seen some fierce Mall Duty, because they are nearly perfectly evenly worn, no signs of plugs or even patches or sidewall punctures, no cupping on the edges, no chunking that might indicate an idiot like me has had them in the rocks and on the throttle, and the centers measure 9/32 of tread while the edges measure as much as 12/32 of tread. They vary slightly from tire to tire, but for the most part they seem to have enough tread on them to get me from home to work and back the 99% of the time I seem to drive it anymore, yet it should get the job done off the pavement when I have to drag the Wife's Van out of the yard or on the off chance that I might get to go 4x4ing once or twice in the next year, and they should do fine in the snow.

It was one of those, 'Oh, man, I'd better get these in the truck before someone else sees them!' deals. There's a camp jeep thing going on here for the weekend and the /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Jeepers /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif are scouring the parts stores, junkyards, tire shops, everything! I just happened to be making my usual rounds at the local tire shops as I do once a week or so to see if they had anything come in this week in my size. (They're spraying the streets and offering free shots at the county health center and public hospitals, but the 'Jeep Thing' seems to be something that modern medicine can neither understand nor cure. Frank help us all.)

/forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif And, most importantly, I could NOT, I repeat, NOT let a sweet set of tires like this 'great deal' end up on a jeep, although Mall Terrains are traditionally more suited to a Jeep's capabilities, off road abilities, and sensibilities than my nearly daily need to run over something that could very easily require the lugs of a mud tire, even if I never leave the pavement. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif I hate all those parking lot mazes that end up not being connected, and trap you, leaving most 'SUV' owners and mini vans cursing and turning around to drive 3 miles back to the street and around to the next entrance. I just drive right over the concrete barriers or hills or whatever is in the way rather than circle back. Why in the world would they NOT want you to continue on to each others' shops anyway??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif So anyway, Tire Rack wants $508 to deliver a set of -4- B.F. Goodrich Mall Terrains to my door, and I'm assuming it would cost at least another $40 to have them mounted and balanced. I'll call it $550 even. (If I were buying new I would up the ante the extra $80 for the Mud Terrains...) /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Being the Poll Whore that I am, and since I've been falling way behind in my Polling and Whoring lately (note necessarily in that order or in that combination) I have to put a poll in... And I have pictures!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Let the record show that I have been driving my truck 70mph on the Lynchburg expressway for about a month on the left front tire as bald as it is in the photo below. The other three tires are actually OK. 75% is a better investment than anything else I involve myself in throughout the day!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Here's the truck pretty much as it was when I bought it about a year and a half ago. I haven't really done enough to it to call it 'mine' yet. Mostly I've put a dent in it and bent the tie rod. I also wired it for a trailer with brakes and replaced the sickly Quadrajet with a nice Holley I had laying around. Anyways, still has another 200,000 miles left in it for sure...

[​IMG]

Here's the bald left front that I recently moved to the back. And I mean it's BALD!!! The only thing similar to tread left on it now is the weather check cracks!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I've really got to finish the Camaro so I can work on the truck before winter!!! In fact, I should be out there working on the Camaro right now while it's cool outside rather than messing with the, forgive my Redneck swearing, Durn't Computin' thing!

[​IMG]

Here's my 'Prized Great Deal' in the back of the K5 in the Wal-Mart parking lot because I was afraid to go home and try to explain the purchase to the Wife...

[​IMG]

And here's a closeup of the tread left on them... Like I said earlier they're all very similar in the amount of tread left, the condition of the tread, and the very smooth wear pattern, or lack of wear pattern I should say. There was also a set of 235/60-16 BFG Mall Terrain K/O's that I almost bought also, but some dude with a Grand Cherokee paid more than I had to spare for them...

[​IMG]

2. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I paid $105 for the full set of 4 tires. Could have had them mounted and balanced for another $20 if I'd had the front end fixed and ready to go... I figure any good tire has to be worth $25, eh??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I've been buying used tires for a long time and I know that it's rare to get a good used no-name brand 235/75-15 for $20, so I knew this was a good deal, I just wanted to see what everyone else had to say, because I've never bought a used tire this big before. I can definitely tell you it's a whole hailofa lot harder to find a set of decent used 33's than it is to find a set of 235/75-15's!!!. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thank You for Your Support.

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

$105 is a damn good price. i paid $200 mounted/balanced for a set of >40% 265/75/16 "mall terains" (i like that term /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif) they are better than the 4 mismatched 2 different size tires that were on it when i bought the truck /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    $105 is a damn good price. i paid $200 mounted/balanced for a set of >40% 265/75/16 "mall terains" (i like that term /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif) they are better than the 4 mismatched 2 different size tires that were on it when i bought the truck /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually picked up the term "Mall Terrains" here in another post somewhere... I've actually found them pretty acceptable off-road as long as you don't get in deep mud. And they don't make nearly the road noise that Mud Terrains do at 70mph or more... /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

But when I start doing a lot of off-roading again, it will have to have Mud Terrains again.

BTW, the same place I got this deal had another set of BFG Mall Terrains in the size you mentioned (265/75/16) that could probably had for another $100 if anyone is in the market...

Funny Story inside the Story above, when I was making my rounds to the places locally that sell used tires, one of the guys that has been trying to sell me new tires asked if he could at least give me a quote. He said he would make me a heck of a deal. So what the heck... I told him to give me the cheapest deal he could on the cheapest set of 35x12.50-15 Mud Tires, Brand not important. He quoted me just over $800 for 4 Mud Kings mounted and balanced, out the door. As you can see, I kept searching for a used set. WTF? Surely anyone who is in the market for 35" tires knows that Mud Kings don't cost $200 per tire, even in a 35??? /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would have definitely jumped on that deal for $105.

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Good score Paul /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

wow ur old tread looks petty messy. My tires started to look like that. Bad ball joints

8. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

Pretty good deal....still cant beat mine...35x15.5x15 swampers with about 25% tread...for 60 bucks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pretty good deal....still cant beat mine...35x15.5x15 swampers with about 25% tread...for 60 bucks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif ALL tires can be All-Season tires when the tread gets thin enough!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Yeah, before I biffed my tie rod into a horseshoe, my tires were all 4 worn nearly perfectly even and flat, no cupping at all. After 'The Incident', both fronts started wearing the outer edges real bad, and you can actually see the bad toe-in when looking at the tires standing in front of the truck... The front left just went way before the right did.

Then my health took a dive at just about the same time my Camaro did, and I've just been driving the K5 regardless of the fact that it needs work too.

As soon as the Camaro is back on the road, the K5 is getting some upgrades too! So I'm not going to mount my 'new' tires until I get the front end rebuilt and a few other things done... /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

I'd like to completely redo the suspension with a 'Real' 4" of lift on springs only (no blocks or shackles) and extended shocks, etc. Right now it's as it was when I bought it with shackles in the front that lift it about 2.5", and 4" blocks in the back, with stock shocks and all the stock steering linkage in the front. I believe I also need a high-steer/rear-steer/over-steer/magic-steer setup of some kind... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

And last, but probably the most important of all, I badly need to regear my 2.73's with... ANYTHING BUT 2.73's!!! Probably 4.11's since I'm still running a TH350.

If I could go Hog Wild and do a D60/D70 swap and an SM465/NP205, I'd go with 5.13's!!! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Of course then I'd need 38's though. And probably fender flares and some Sawzall work. I ain't skeered to use the Sawzall. In fact, most of the time when I get the Sawzall out, other people get skeered! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. afflictedpast

afflictedpast Newbie

Great find, i just picked up 4 265/75/16 bridgestone muds with 60% for 80 bucks.

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Great score.. btw.. We are trying to get some people together to go wheeling up at Potts Jeep Rd, let me know if your interested.

12. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

[quote
    But when I start doing a lot of off-roading again, it will have to have Mud Terrains again.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I thought you were talking about mud terrains /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

13. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Great score.. btw.. We are trying to get some people together to go wheeling up at Potts Jeep Rd, let me know if your interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Definitely Interested!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif However, my chaotic life leaves me guessing until the last minute as far as whethet I can actually go or not.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif When are you thinking of going? My summer is pretty open right now, and I'd love to take The Z-Man (my Son) on his first trail ride. I'm sure he'll Love It, but just in case he doesn't I'll want to be able to get out to the highway myself so we can head home without slowing everyone else down...

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif I'm listening!!!

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I should be wheeling this Sunday, won't be Potts though. If you want to go let me know.

15. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

good score for sure hope they work out for ya /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

but i think i made out a little better than you.... i just recently picked up 5 mall terrains 35x12.50x16.5 for a grand total of 150 dollars and these babies are BRAND SPANKIN NEW got them from michelin as a matter of fact man does it pay to have a dad who works for michelin /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif now i can drive it if i want and not kill the swampers /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

16. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    good score for sure hope they work out for ya /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

but i think i made out a little better than you.... i just recently picked up 5 mall terrains 35x12.50x16.5 for a grand total of 150 dollars and these babies are BRAND SPANKIN NEW got them from michelin as a matter of fact man does it pay to have a dad who works for michelin /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif now i can drive it if i want and not kill the swampers /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were a true entrepreneur, you would turn those around and make a clean 100% profit on them. I'll send you $300 for them right now and we can work out what I owe you for shipping later! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

17. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I should be wheeling this Sunday, won't be Potts though. If you want to go let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

How far away from Lynchburg are you headed?

Just so I don't slow you down, remember that I've got a truck with bald rear tires and a 4 year old that has never been 4x4ing, not officially anyway. I'm pretty sure he'll love it judging by the excitement he shows when we run over things with his truck (the K5 is HIS truck, long story) but you never know.

So if you're doing serious hard=core trails I'll pass not because I'm scared but because my equipment isn't up to snuff and I don't want to slow you down all day.

Keep me posted.

18. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

It's not serious hard core, but it's not easy either. BTW.. it won't be this Sunday. I'll let you know when.

19. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

20. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

i think i could have gotten like 200 sets of these tires at 30 bucks a tire but if i resell them my dad'll get canned so thats not an option /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gifbut it was the first the first thing that ran through my mind

i'm not even really suposed to technically have them cause the k5's title is in my name not his and i'm not a michelin employee.