Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did I hok up the lines backwards? **problem found and fixed**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Sep 29, 2006.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I finally got around to putting my steering box back together and back on the truck. Except now when I turn I get a really bad noise. It's definitly the power steering pump. But the pump wasn't bad when I parked it. I still have some power steeing too. it just makes a horrible noise. Could I have hooked the hard lines going into the steering box up backwards?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

did you jack the front axle up and crank the steering lock to lock about 10 or 20 times with the truck running to bleed the system?

If you want I can run out to my truck and see which side the pressure line is hooked up on and which side the return is hooked up on..

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If I'm not mistaken, you can't as they are different fitting sizes...

4. 78Suburban

pressure line - left front

return line - right back

on the steering box from looking straight over into the truck from the front

5. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

yup I had the front on jack stands and it was fine didn't make a noise. I put the truck back on the ground and drove around the block and it started doing what it's doing.

I'll go check my lines though

6. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

the lines are hooked up the way you described. So I guess my pump must be bad. I'll drive it to campus and to work--only a few blocks--and see if it's still just air in the system(I'm being hopeful) or I guess I'll be pulling the pump tonight otherwise.

7. 78Suburban

also, after you prime the system, the fluid level does go down, so you have to keep a close eye on the fluid. Too low on fluid will make it do as you describe.

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

What kind of noise?
    -Harrison

9. tomford

tomford 1/2 ton status Premium Member

my truck is doing the smae thing ... it squeals and when you turn it it's jerking back and forth and the turning radius sucks. Any ideas?

tom ford

10. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

ok I've got the problem fixed. Apparently I didn't bleed the system enough. I spent 15mins last night going lock to lock and just called it good. Well I just spent another 20 mins with it on jack stands going lock to lock and finally got rid of the air bubbles. I couldn't believe I had that much air in the lines. Anyways topped off the resivoir and went for a drive...no more noise and with the new box the truck drives like a dream. I'm just glad I found that's what it was before I burned up the pump.

So there's todays helpful hint....make sure you get ALL!!! the air out of your power steering lines before you drive it.

11. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Once the fluid foams, its a bear to get all the air out. Its usually best to let it sit for a while.

12. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

Drove like a dream--well as much as a blazer can drive like that. I had about 30mins of freeway driving last night and tracked straight, compared to how it ususally is very little bump steer, and no more noises.

yeah those stupid air bubbles are a pain