Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did I just break my transfer case?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OL BLAZER, Feb 11, 2007.

1. OL BLAZER

OL BLAZER Registered Member

Whats up everybody , just here for some advice on what you guys think .

Just got back from the desert and I think I broke something in the t case or something in the front axle somewhere??

I hadn't even been there twenty minutes and I started to here and feel a steady metal to metal sound.I felt my shifter on the floor and it felt like the knocking was right under it.The faster I went the faster the sound gets, so I just took it out of four wheel drive before something else breaks. so the sounds gone for now , but I tried the four wheel drive again when I got home and there's defenitly something broken, lots of click clack noise going on somewhere don't now where. Took down the front driveline and checked out u joints , they looked good , I ran the blazer like that without the front driveline and tried the four wheel drive out and the was no noise, everything sounded normal.

so what I wondering was what you guys think , my four wheel drive still works just sounds like somethings about to blow when i'm in it! Don't really want to keep driving it like that cause somethings about to break.

Anybody's two cents would be cool.

2. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well you started were i would but you might pull the front dif cover off and take a peak you might also check your hubs and from that point if you find nothing obvius id think t-case

3. OL BLAZER

O.k say it is my t-case , I was wondering since I have the 203 right now does that mean I have to stick to that t-case or what are my options and do go looking for something like that in a junkyard or do I try and rebuild the one I already got?

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What transmission?

5. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

What you are describing is exactly what happened to me. I figured it was nothing but it turned out to be my front d-shaft. The 1310 cv took a **** and was banging on the crossover pipe on the exhaust. I could tell it was that because the d-shaft moved about an inch up and down when i tried to move it. I know you said it looked good but did you make sure it was all tight before you took it off?

6. OL BLAZER

I really dont know what tranny i got I do kow my t- case is a 203 and I got a 350 .I just got the blazer a little over a year ago and we're still getting to know each other.

the only kind of marks I found we're behind the front driver side wheel right behind the brakes where the axle ends?

7. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a blowed CV in the front driveshaft. The Ujoints could look fine but the "ball and socket" cv part may be blown. I've destroyed plenty of those.

8. OL BLAZER

so how do I get to that cv joint to check it or hopefully replace it and problem fixed.

I just popped off my diff cover and everything looks good in there so next step is to check out those fresh looking marks I found earlier .It looks like the yolk is hitting the u bolt stabilizer looking thing going under my front pumkin.

So my ? is how do I get to that part ? never messed with any of that part of the blazer yet.its a 10 bolt 6 lug with manual locks.

9. OL BLAZER

If I knew how to put a pic up I would but I dont know yet that would be the easiest way to show you guys whats hitting.I'm not to good with explaining on the keyboard.

10. OL BLAZER

11. OL BLAZER

Here it is guys finally got a pic up what looks broken or is that normal?

sorry the pic is so big I had my lil cousin holp me out with it he knows the computer more that me.

anyways ,someomone help me out and tell me my front driveline has something wrong with it and not my t-case.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  12. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

to me by the looks of it that u joint is bad, that upper bearing cap is emitting rust. alot of people think that if a ujoint isnt loose its ok. thats not true all the time if they are too tight thats no gooed either the right way to tell is to remove the shaft and move it by hands in both directions. also if you have a 203 t-case u are in 4 wheel all the time and you shouldnt have manual locking hubs in the front axle unless someone put a part time kit in it. the shift knob is a dead give away on a 203 will not say 2wd anywhere and will include a hi-lock and low-lock