Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did I just buy a Gov-Bomb?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by goldwing2000, Jan 11, 2006.

1. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Ok, so I just picked up this 14BFF that was previously installed in a Jeep. The guy I bought it from said, "It's got a locker, dude!"

Naturally, I assumed he meant a Detroit. I pulled the cover this morning and found this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That doesn't look like any Detroit Locker I've ever seen. I just read the thread about that trussed-up 14B on eBay and somebody said that one has a Gov-Loc. Sadly, it looks a lot like mine. :(

So it seems I'm stuck with a Gov-Bomb. :doah: How bad is my luck, really? What are the chances this thing is going to grenade on me? How well do these things "lock", if at all?

It's going to be mated to a D44 in the front, which I was going to drop a Powertraxx into.

I really don't want to drop any more money into this thing (especially on a Detroit), so what are my options?

*sigh*

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

A Gov-Loc carrier has three major pins that hold the locker in place....a standard carrrier (with a Detroit) will have 4 of those pins.

From those pics I can't tell if the pins are 1/4 rotation apart (4-pin) or 1/3 rotation apart (3-pin Gov Loc)

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

From the pictures, I can say that you DO NOT have a Gov-lok. That is obviously an open carrier and the fact that you can see the spider gears means that you DO NOT have a Detroit.:doah: It is possible that it is welded.

Do the tires spin the same or opposite direction when you turn one wheel?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.:( Hopefully you got the axle for cheap.

Here is a pic of what you should see in those little windows when the carrier contains a Detroit:
    [​IMG]

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Greg.....an easy way to determine which carrier you are looking at is to count the number of bolts between the pins. We know that a 14BFF has 12 ring gear bolts. From his pictures, there are 3 bolts in between those 2 visible pins. 3 X 4 = 12 obviously. If there are 4 bolts between the pins, then there are only 3 pins total (Gov-lok).:D :D

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I thought it might be open, too, but the multiple cross-pins got me scratching. It's not installed on the vehicle yet, so I can't do the "spin one side" trick. I didn't have time this morning but I'll put it up on some jack stands and check it out. And no, I didn't pay a lot for the axles. I did have my hopes up that I would be getting real 4wd, though. :(

Greg72: judging by the spacing on the two visible pins, I'd almost have to say there are four of them but I've never seen a Detroit with spider gears (as Beast said).

Anybody else have an opinion?

6. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

From the photo, looking at the webbing I'd say definitely 4 pin. But even if it's a gov-lock , in a 14BFF they are pretty darn strong. The only issue ( to me) is that one wheel has to turn 100rpm faster than the other to engage, so in very slow crawling it may not be the best thing. Try rotating the hubs/ wheels to check whether it's a Detroit. If they go the same direction it's a Detroit and if they go opposite until one wheel is spun fast and then SLAM (both lock) it's a gov lock. Of course as said above. Maybe open??

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Nevermind!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2006
  8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Ahhh... good info! I never knew how a Gov-Lock worked. By that description, that's probably what it is. As the seller and I were rolling it around on the ground to get it onto my trailer, it sure didn't seem like the wheels were locked together. That was my first bad feeling.

Glad to hear it's fairly strong, though. I don't do a lot of crawling, so I may be ok. Mostly snow, mud, hills, etc. Not a lot of big rocks in Michigan. :)

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

My eyes aren't the greatest.......but I count 12.:D :haha: :haha:

[​IMG]

The 14 bolt term comes from the number of cover bolts.:D

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The 14 bolt name comes from the number of bolts that hold the diff cover on, not by the ring gear bolts.

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

That weird. 10-bolts have 10 bolts, 12-bolts have 12 bolts and 14-bolts have 12 bolts.

K. :bow:

I'm new to all these big parts. :crazy:

12. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Even further, the ring diameter.

13. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Ummm... what about the ring diameter? :thinking:

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Are you a "visual" guy....???

Gov-Loc: (3-pins)

[​IMG]

Open Carrier: (4-Pins)

[​IMG]

15. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Man... on the 14B, even the open carriers look weird. I have a feeling that's what it is.

Can't check it till this afternoon, though.

16. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Anybody else have an opinion or is that pretty much the whole scoop?

17. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

It's an open diff. No detroit, no gov-lock. This has been covered on here before.

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Before you put it in buy a detroit and install it.

A detroit looks like this.
    [​IMG]

Remove everything you see inside the open carrier including all shims. Drop this puppy in its place, bolt on the ring gear and remove the center bolt. CAUTION! do not remove the center bolt before the ring gear is bolted on. The internal springs have a tremendous load on them and will blow the locker apart and then you have to figure how it goes back together (if you can).:D

Ira

19. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Thanks.

I did a search but didn't really find anything. Must have been an old discusison.

Looks like I'm dropping another $400 for the damn Detroit. :mad1:

20. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

This sounds like experience:doah: