Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did I make the right decision?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MTChevy, Oct 31, 2005.

1. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Got all signed up for Wyotech tonight. Did I make the right decision? I got 3 business days to make up my mind.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you end with a skill , and a good job , yes :D

Theres some Ck5 guys there right now , look em up :D:D

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Fil (ProJunkRacing) is there (the one who bought my truck) and Erik (who isnt a member here, but a friend of Fil and I, Erik bought my 1 tons and 40s, and is driving the truck around WyoTech right now) its a red 87 Sierra 2500 on 1 tons, and i believe he's running something other than the 40s and beadlocks right now if you get down that way and see it.

4. tweek

tweek 1/2 ton status

sled dog is at wyotech too, you might shoot him a pm for his opinion.....

good luck :waytogo:

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

he's at the PA campus. Erik and Fil are in Wyoming. careful, Fil's a snitch, ratted Erik out for having a 6er of Smirnoff in the dorms. :screwy:

6. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

you made a horrible decision........ cancel that **** before it's too late.......

i go to uti. :D

7. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hard to say. I have a friend who went there and came back and couldn't get a job because he didn't have enough experience just alot of book knowledge. That was also like 6 years ago. Back then it was known to be a great finishing school to fine tune your complex knowledge. I dunno how it is know for sure but another friend checked into it 2 years ago and they were "telling" him there was a 99% job placement ratio or so. Even if you don't get a job right away though kowledge is something no one can take away from you though.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

FWIW
    Waste of time and money. I have been in the car business for 15+years. My wife has been for 20+. Spending $15000 to have someone teach you what you can learn on a job in a year, is counterproductive. Get the job, earn while you learn. I have seen ASE master techs, on paper, with a degree, not be able to diagnose their way out of a wet paper bag. No matter what your training is, you don't start off noticably better than the next guy IMO.

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Diagnosis comes with time, though. School can never teach you that. It's mainly to get your feet wet and give you confidence to tear something apart without worrying too much. If you think that is the school for you, go for it.

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

School gives you the foundation to build experience on. It doesn't teach you to be a Master Tech (or an Engineer for that matter), it teaches how to become a Master Tech (or Engineer). You can obviously become a Master Tech w/o school, but I'll venture a guess that it will take you longer to gain all of the knowledge.

Just remember that you'll get out of school what you put into it. If you're pro-active in your classes and involved you'll get a lot more from the classes than if you sit back and coast (i.e. what I did in High School).

11. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

:doah:
    well wtf should i get kicked out of housing for him i told him to get rid of it oh well . yeah bc i want a $500 dollar fine and to get kicked out of housing ? no thanks

The school is good you get what you put in . If you don't care or try you will go home fast. They are very strict here and FYI he has 38.5 Tsl sx's on white wagon wheels lol and an 9" of lift

Like I told MT b4 it is that they are very strict here and you just got to abide by the rules.

Like attendance and stuff i have heard it that we are considered the "Military school of automotive''

12. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Haha, yeah, you get points taken off when you curse. Not at my school, all we did was curse, and that included the teachers.... :haha:

13. ProJunkRacing

yeah that would be professionalism points, Guys, have to shave every day etc it would take me forever to type out our rules they suck esp in managment which is what i am in now

14. ProJunkRacing

so how long was your drive out here when you came to look at the school ?

15. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

the drive was too long, 700 miles i believe... But we stayed at a friends one night, and went down the next. There was tons of dinkin off so we got there a lot later than we thought. Overall, the tour was impressive. I like whats going on and the technology i saw.

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

oddly enough, UTI, Lincoln Tech, and Northwestern College (now the University of Northwestern Ohio) told me the EXACT same thing. i toured Lincoln Tech Indianapolis, Universal Tech Chicago, and Northwestern in Lima, OH. actually had a scholarship to go to UTI, but passed on it because they couldnt show me any of the school provided housing (apartment complexes around Chicago). i didnt want to end up in a bad area of town. i wasnt impressed with Lincoln Tech at all, so i chose Northwestern. spent 9 months there, and got burned out turning wrenches, so i quit school, came home and got a job. i later looked into UTI again, to finish my degree. no credits transfered, so i passed on them. looked into WyoTech as well, saw the no facial hair and no ear piercing rules, and decided against that as well. since when does an ear piercing and a goattee make you an inferior technician? i have both, and im now an RVIA certified RV technician. OMG, i have a tattoo as well. i must really be trash.

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

same here. hell, my high school auto shop was like that. we even had a designated smoking area.

18. ProJunkRacing

yes there are many rules.. but all in all I think it is worth it as far as tatoo's they don't really care it is your body so what are they going to do . My friend just got a tatoo here 2 weeks ago , but anywho about housing housing here is nice it is always full .

The school deals with a Realator and basically rents every vacant place in town . Housing includes townhome(brand new) Brand new Apartment's, Motel 8 , etc the school is always growing. There is one building that used to be a hotel that is a log cabin but you don't want to be there.

The school itself campus wise sucks because there are 4 campuses around town north south east west and you have to go all over to take care of biz

As Far as hair ,and shaving and stuff yeah it sucks ,but there are a few teachers that are lenient about it it is just that you are supposed to look "Professional" Managment is the hardest tho bc they are the strictest about everything , when you are in your core class you can curse and etc .

Don't get me wrong even in my class the Techers have sworn and stuff , and we even all talk about drinking and stuff so yeah they are human too.

Core Teachers will tell you what not to do as far as drinkin and thier stories most the teachers in core are cool it is just managment is hardcore.

Oh Drinking here ... be care this altitude if your not used to it booze will really mess you up.

as far as job placement goes they publish a list every week of career openings, throughout the us , and there are some cool ones such as POISEN SPYDER CUSTOM's that hires through the school.

In your last 3 months you work with the career dept , and they write you a resume, and sent it to all you potential employers, and you sign up for interviews at the career fair .(but you can't interview till your last 3 months)
    We actually have a fair coming up here in the next few weeks here of NOV.

But if you have any questions feel free to ask , and i will try my best to answer them .

-Sorry for anymisspelling

PHILIP

19. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

I own and manage a general repair shop in ga. IMO school will teach alot of basics and theory. It will never substitute for actually working on cars and figuring it out yourself. I have had one employee who went to wyotech, he was pretty smart and knew alot but made mistakes that an experianced tech would not. I personally would rather hire a young guy and teach him how I like to see things done. As all of you know there are alot of ways to do things but only a few are the right way. just my 2cents :D

gabe

20. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

kind of funny to think of it that way. even funnier knowing that Fil is going to school for it, and paying a considerable amount of money for a degree, and i'm more likely to get hired than he is. something about wrenching 15 years, vs. a guy who couldnt install body mount bushings properly last year. :haha: