Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

did i miss the die terrorist die thread?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, May 3, 2007.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

top guy in Al Queda 'o' Iraq gets pwned (apparently) by some sort of rival group (probably pissed off good guy Iraqis tired of foreign terrorists!) a few days back... and today the US military announces that they killed a handfull of upper-level Al Queda 'o' Iraq guys too... and no one here is talking aboot it? :thinking:

j

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Have they confirmed the inter-rival killing yet?

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was too busy watching a kid tie his shoe without using his hands.

4. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

There's always more willing to step up in their places... :(

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Last I heard it wasn't confirmed yet. If it is true then; Hell yes!

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Good news doesn't sell... I hadn't heard this, thanks for posting it, I'll go check out some news.

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I thout we lost over there already.. harry reid said so..

Seriously, I hadn't heard that.the news warms my heart.

8. jekbrown

yeah, its not confirmed that the #1 Al Queda guy is dead.... but he hasn't had any response to the contrary either. Time will tell I guess. I have heard that we are supporting certain factions over there that are pro-iraqi and anti-foreign terrorist etc and that may be the results. Wise move in a civil war to chose local allies.

The handfull of other scumbags getting pwned was confirmed by the US military. Group included the assholes who abducted that chick last year and held her hostage... and they also murdered an innocent aid worker guy. Not sure what other treachery they were involved in, but its safe to say that it wasn't limited to those 2 things.

As far as "there is always someone willing to step in"... you could have said the same thing about Nazis during WWII. I guess we never should have fought them either. At some point, the enemy does run out of bodies. Only the most fanatical a-holes are willing to actually take up arms against us.... and there isn't an infinite amount of them. Because there has been a paradigm shift in warfare since Korea, the War of Terrorism is going to take a looooong time. That's fine. If it takes 100 years it will be worth it to rid the world of this scourge. I don't really like McCain... but I have to agree with his 'I'd follow them to the gates of hell' comment...

j

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i saw a quick mention of it on fox news while i was in a waiting room

good news

10. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Damn, that makes more sense that anything I've heard in a while.

11. jekbrown

lol! I've never understood the left-wing "for every terrorist you kill, you only create 10 more!"... yeah, ok. In WWII did killing one Nazi create 10 more? If so, how did we ever win? It wasn't like we were doing surgical strikes and only hitting Nazi leadership and military targets or anything. Shouldn't have our "war crimes" (left wing phraseology) caused more and more Europeans to agree with Nazi agitators and join them against us? As usual, what the left says makes less and less sense the more you think.

j

12. chalet2506

The problem with today's war is lack of static battle lines and solid targets. "War on Terror" WTF? Bush didnnt make war on Iraq, he made it on Saddam Hussein - which has turned into kind of a slippery mess. We need solid targets to go kick the **** out of. Terrorism is getting a little too generic.

Although, one has to wonder if today's society would have had the metal to stay the course for 4 years to kick some Axis ass and finally drop the bomb?

13. jekbrown

there isn't going to be a traditional type of war (with major powers involved anyway) any time in the foreseeable future. Almost certainly not in our lifetimes. Its the era of asymetrical warfare... there will not be any battle lines or worthy hard targets. We will adapt, or we will all die. I'll go with the former.

"War on Terror" is useful in that it lumps everyone of that type of methodology into one group. If we had declared official war on Al Queda the day after 9-11... the terrorists probably just would have changed the name of their group and starting plotting the next wave. Just like we ain't gonna find any big bases to bomb, we aren't going to find any clearly defined/constrained groups (like any nation state would be). We just gotta recognize that and deal wit it.

j

14. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

the equalivancy thread and this one should be joined. we got saddam, we toppled his government, we instituted another government. it is fully functional (as much as I can tell anyway) time to to get the fock out and let them handle their own problems.
    No turning cheek and running, just leaving their problems to them.
    Asswipes are gone, now somewhat normally functioning government in place to handle whatever comes up. end of OUR story. US goes home Iraq pays us in OIL for our trouble everybody happy!

15. chalet2506

I understand that, most people don't. The fact is we've been at war since day one with one country or another, whether the general public knew it our not. However, I will say that broadening the definition of who we're "war- ing" with at any one time based on what the govt decides to tell us spooks me just a lttle.

16. jekbrown

we left Vietnam and 3 million people died in the ensuing chaos. We don't need to speculate about what will happen in Iraq... we already know. I don't think that is the best solution. Hell, if you are ok with killing on that scale... we should just nuke anyone who fights against us in Iraq... and then leave. At least that will teach punks who are thinking about fighting against us that they had better not.

What CNN and ABC isn't tell us is that there are millions of innocent, freedom-loving people in various places in Iraq. As a fellow free-man, I don't think abandoning those people is the best "plan".

j

17. bigjbear

How about we just stop being so PC and call it the "War on Radical Islam" or "War on Islamic Terrorism" or my favorite (and diplomacy would never let this one happen) "The Crusades on Muslim Terrorists"? That at least gives us an enemy.

In my eyes the only way this will stop is end our NEED for other countries oil. In my opinion that wont start to happen until we see 4 years of $4/gal gas. There is no other way to get the soccer moms out of their SUVs. If that happens then the Middle East becomes no different than Darfour (sp). Just another far away place where people regularly kill each other. Let it be China & Russia's problem. Without the oil money to back them terrorists would lose much of their power. I doubt it would stop them 100%, but it sure would slow them down.

I'm starting to get off-topic so I'll stop now.

18. jekbrown

Funding is always a trickey thing. On the other hand, groups like Al Queda don't need a whole lot. I mean, the entire 9-11 operation cost how much $$? Not all that much really. Even if the US didn't import 1 drop of mid-east oil... other countries certainly would... so the a-rabs will have their $$$$ either way. I think we need to move past the "if no one ever bought their oil" fantasy... because someone always will. Even if every car on the planet was electric tomorow morning, petrochems are a HUGE deal in the chemical industry. They get used for damn near everything. So long as its in their dirt, the mid-east has a very valuable commodity. That isn't an entirely bad thing really... it does give our allies in the region the means to fight terrorists and a reason to do so also.

j

19. bigjbear

Your right on the costs of 9-11, probably less than $1M US. But money does make connections, and its needed for things weapons & training. I'm sure you remember "beans, bullets, band-aids".

I don't envision us not importing oil, I would just like to see it drop to the point of a supplement of our own. Almost a flipping the portions of the pie, if you will.

As far as someone buying it, yes they will. They do now, most of our oil does not come from there but we still do get a lot from the region. Just for fun fact; most of our oil imports come from our neighbors- Mexico & Canada, then the Middle East (primarily Saudi Arabia), then South America (primarily Venezuela), then Africa (primarily Nigeria). My point is, with the exception of Canada our imported oil supply is not in the hands of the most stable world players. If we quit pulling oil from one region it doesn't do much more than give power to the next nut job-in our case Chavez. I think we agree that is not a positive out come.

There is not a simple solution, but we do need to conserve if for no other reason than our personal pocket books. Hopefully, together we can drive down the amount of money available to fund those that would like to see our country falter.

20. jekbrown

alternatively, we could suck the middle east dry as fast as humanly possible... and then when the mid-east collapses into the dust-bin of history, we could smile and wave as they go under.

Worse comes to worse, we have more shale oil than the entire middle east has liquid stuff. Sure its expensive to process... but it may be the only oil any of us can get. In any case, reducing our intake from the mideast might not do anything more than keep the money flowing to that region longer. :thinking:

j