Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did I say I liked 700r4's? I think I was lying.700/208 swap 350/203

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4GUNZ4X4Z, Apr 6, 2001.

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Did I say I liked 700r4\'s? I think I was lying.700/208 swap 350/203

Yep the 700 I installed in Febuary went out on me yesterday. I couldn't believe it 2 months and it went I was hot.[​IMG] So I started kicking the idea around about getting a 350 and a adapter to my 208 or maybe a 350/205 or 350/203 or well you get the picture. I've been planning on getting a doubler kit and putting it behind my 700, but I started thinking why do I need overdrive? I counted up all the pro's and con's and come to find out I dont need it. So after work today I went out and picked up a 350/203 combo. This means all I need now is a 205 and I'll be ready for the doubler YEEHAW!!!

Of course a bunch of us are going 4wheel'n tomorrow, so I needed a trans anyways. So this leads up to my next question. I've got a 84 K5 with the 700/208 combo, what problems should I run into swapping this out with the 350/203 setup? I've already got the right driveshafts, because I picked them up with the tranny so thats outta the way. What about the shift linkage on the tcase and the tranny? What about the crossmember and bolts will the bolts out of my 208 bolt into my 203? and will I need to drill new holes for the crossmember? What about the TV cable? How cares about the speedo cable. Any and all help will be appreciated.
    1 more thing. The tranny came with a 2000 stall converter any thoughts on this?

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Did I say I liked 700r4\'s? I think I was lying.700/208 swap 350/203

Its probably not much help, but if you do a fair bit of slow speed rock crawling that convertor will just suck...Also if your highway cruising RPM is somewhere around 2000 RPM you'll probably burn it up.
    If it was my rig I'd look for a stock convertor, and even then i'd run a big cooler (although i'm assuming you already have one)
    You might have to drill some new crossmember holes in the bottom of the frame, I had to do this when I went from a SM465/NP208 to a SM 465/NP205. I thought GM might have a few extra holes down there but they didn't.
    Don't know for sure on the other questions, my last 203 was 12 years ago and I never did a thing to it...

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

3. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I think ya might be awful lucky to bolt this up in one night...but if ya do..the th350 should be able to shrug off the heat, depending. Crossmember..just drill holes..linkage..hope ya got the 203/350 stuff or yer screwed, probably. TV cable should be ok. Hope this helps a bit.

"Why YES!..the Fast-lane was built just for YOU!! Because we all needed someone to drive slow and screw up traffic!!!!"

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Well it took a whopp'n 3 hours from start to finish. The only problems I had with the swap was the kickdown cable, it doesnt fit my carb, but thats ok I can shift the tranny manually.

tRusty
    I agree with you. I ended up getting a stock replacement converter. I dont really like playing in the mud so I figured the 2000 stall wasn't necassary.

As far as the performance difference I was dissappointed. I had to put more into the pedal and lots more tire spin. Miss the overdrive and the lower first gear of the 700 and hated the low gear in the 203. All that will be fixed when I change the diff gears and add on the 205 so I'm not to dissappointed. Good points the tranny ran a little cooler, but not enough to matter. Also the tranny is about 2 inches shorter than the 700 and alot cheaper than the 700.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Michael

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)

This might sound stupid, but does your 203 have the part time kit in it? If not I would suggest getting one. Normaily you have to replace hubs too, but you already have those. This will help your performance and gas mileage a little bit. There is less driveline efficency lost. Also, if you get the kit from mile marker get the shaft kit not the crown gear kit. its much stronger. Ohh, if you have auto locking hubs, get manual locking ones. I think auto lockers need the 208 to engage/dissengage them.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yeah I have a part time kit in the 203 and yes the second day I got my K5 I replaced the auto hubs to the manuals.

7. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

just curouis how much you'd sell the 700r4 and 208 for... i blew my 700r4 out two weeks ago and i'm going to need parts. what exactly happened to yours?

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00

8. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Well the 700 started going out. It would drag in first, bang into second, stall trying to get into third, and never made it back into fourth. On top of that when we pulled it out the area where the middle bolt is on the passanger side was broken off. So even the housing is no good anymore. Which kinda sucks because I had planned on saving it. The 208 is not for sale at this time. I'm keepng it for emergency purposes.
    Thanx for the reply and if I hear of any good deals on a 700 I'll let ya know.

Michael