Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did I smoke my th350?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Md mudder, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Md mudder

Md mudder 1/2 ton status

After some steep loose hill climbs the other day I backed up and lost reverse so I took off forward and got about 50 yards on flat ground and lost forward.(engine and tranny were definatly overheated) so I waited about an hour while I thought about how I was going to get the K5 back down the mountain. I decided see if would go enough to get turned around and it worked fine no slipping...well to make a short story longer it happened 3 more times going down and all I had to do was shut the engine off and restart it right away and it would go again. The fluid level is full and it never really slipped just quit. I'm thinking it might be a sticking valve in the valve body. any ideas?

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You say the fluid is full, how does it look and smell. Usually if you lose all gears forward and reverse, it's a pump that on it's way out. I'm no tranny expert though, so hopefully others will help out.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

If it worked fine by just shutting it off and back on, I'd suspect a fluid issue like clogged passages, filter, etc. When you get a lot of slip on the tranny you tend to wear the friction plates down and plate residue can clog passages so keep that in mind as the source. hopefully, its not that bad and just need to have anew filter popped on there and not a complete rebuild.

4. Md mudder

Md mudder 1/2 ton status

yea I bought a new filter kit this morning I'm going to check it out. I have 5 spares condition unknown and I bought the tech video a few weeks ago a planed to rebuild all of them but I was hoping to get by until this winter with the one I have

5. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Can you make me a copy of the tape? I will pay for the tape and shipping.