Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did I stab the dizzy right?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Feb 22, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

This is FOR SURE on the compression stroke, the piston is at the top of the cylinder, and the timing mark is on TDC... I haven't touched it since it was running like Craaaaap... I think the distributor is in right, don't you?
    [​IMG]

thanks,
    james

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Looks good

3. 78Suburban

then I'm screwed.. I was hoping I was a tooth off... I guess I will go try a different set of plug wires and cap and see if I can mess around with it some more.. I just don't understand why it won't run right... There must be something I'm overlooking

4. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Yes that is in the right position, so what is the problem? How is it running, besides bad?

5. 78Suburban

the pic may be a bit decieving by the angle of it... the rotor is actually pointing more toard the center of the manifold than it is #1.. ?

6. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

That is the correct position. Best way to double check is look at the firing order, that is right where your #1 plug wire sits. You do have all your plug wires in the right order, right? The reason I ask is because I changed plugs this weekend and crossed mine.

7. 78Suburban

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think it may need to be moved one tooth counter clockwise, and start the number one plug wire there. It is very important that it is in the TDC compression stroke, and not TDC exhaust stroke.

9. 78Suburban

Yes, I was thinking it might need to go a tooth counter clockwise, the pic doesn't do it justice, its pointing more toward the center of the manifold.

It is beyond a shadow of a doubt, certainly on the compesssion stroke right now :D
    thanks,
    James

10. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

If the marks are lined up then you should be at TDC compression stroke. Unless something is way jacked up. I just went through your same problem about a month ago because we didn't mark my buddies dizzy when we replaced his engine. We were shooting in the dark to see if we could get it. Turns out we were a tooth off, and in the same position 1-Ton has asked you to go (one tooth counter-clockwise from where you are). When your rotor is facing just a bit towards the drivers side from center, that is the right tooth.

11. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Stooooopid question ... why's it matter? Can't you just stick the #1 wire on the stud wherever the rotor ends up?

'Sides, *assuming* the oil pump thing doesn't move when you yank the old dizzy, seems like the new one will only fit two ways, right and 180* out, cuz of the oil pump drive in the center?

Or am I missing something? I'm having weird timing issues myself, so inquiring minds and all that...

-- A

12. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Actually you are correct...you can just start the spark plug wires where ever the distributor is lined up. But I always liked lining up my diributor and wires the way GM design engineers meant it to be. The one problem with shifting your spark plug wires around the distributor cap is that when adjusting your timing, sometimes the vacuum advance diaphram can hit up against the firewall or intake manifold. If the distributor is line up the way GM factory engineers intended it to be, you will not have that problem.

13. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Your right about the oil pump shaft, and I guess I never really thought about just rotating the plug wires. I guess it would work in theory, never tried it though.

14. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, I think you need to move a tooth or two counterclockwise!

If you need to, you can simply use a big long screwdriver to turn the oil pump shaft, or if you are careful, you can bump it one tooth over at a time until it is where you want it :)

15. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Hey just a thought, did you ever figure out what was up with your #1 plug wire? Is it a new cap? If not check the bottom side, if everything is sparking except #1, maybe you cap and rotor are not making contact, is the cap on all the way? Just trying to go back to the basics, it sounds like a simple problem. But a big pain in the a$$.

16. 78Suburban

I just cleaned off my old plugs and put them back in. Left the dizzy where it was , but turned it ALOT clockwise (enough to achive the some thing as talking out the dizzy and re stabbing it CC a tooth over) , enough that the rotor was pointing to a wee bit before the #1 plug post... I'm about to go turn the key and pray nothing blows up.. I really get scared everytime before I crank my truck...

So if the rotor were pointing stragith down the manifold with maybe I slight slant toward #1, that could be a tooth off, correct? I''m about to go try to fire her up. Wish me luck.
    thanks,
    James

17. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Oh yeah... I knew that, just kinda ... :doah: didn't say it. I've been fortunate that I've not had to rotate the oil pump drive ... for a while, anyway :haha: But I still have the big bloody screwdriver just for that purpose :D

-- A

18. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

the suspense...

19. 78Suburban

after adjusting it the dizzy to compensate for if it had been 1 tooth off, it wouldnt even crank.. twisted it back in spec and got it to run at 12* BTDC.. the timing is right for sure.. it still smokes black, idles rough, and makes some really loud popping noise out the exhaust under heavy throttle/load... I don't know if its full fledged backfiring, or just a little bit of fuel in the exhaust that is unburned... heck, there was some raw gas that was black colored in the exhaust pipe... shoots out poofs of black smoke..
    took some short vids with a digital camera of it running, now If I can get them hosted, I can show yall how it idles..
    thanks,
    James

20. 78Suburban

ah, can't get the stupid videos to upload from the 3 1/2" floppy disk dinosaur camera... oh well... it runs like crap and I'm honestly about to the point of saying screw it and giving up. I will get ahold of a vaccume guage soon and try to see what kinda of vaccume numbers I am pulling, untill then I don't know what to do.. I'm at a loss... maybe the old q jet was messed up and this edelbrock is messed up and both were pouring way too much fuel into the motor, but I don't hardly beleive that... maybe both distributors were bad, although I know for a fact this one worked good, but that's hard to believe too.. oh well, I guess I'm just screwed... My sis is supposed to get a vac guage from her friend's dad today, we'll see what happens.. :eek1: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
    James