Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did it.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Z3PR, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

get a Pheonix Gold Octane R 500 watt 4 channel amp ?? [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm thinking I might be happier with a Pheonix Gold then the El Cheapo Duval 4 channel amp I bought off Ebay for $25.00 . I can get the Pheonix Gold for around $120.00 , but I also have my eye on a US Amps 4 channel amp.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm also consittering a US Amps 4 channel amp. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What about the Soundstream XTA480.4 ?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really think I should get the PHOENIX GOLD OCTANE R5.0:4 . $98.95 + $20.00 for shipping on Ebay (I like Pay-Pal). Grand total of $118.95 . From Phoenix Gold - - - It's rated at 75watts per channel RMS @ 2 ohms, 125watts peak per channel @ 2ohm. My Infinity Kappa's are 2 ohm speakers. The 4X6 plate speakers are rated at 65 watts RMS and the 6X9's are rated at 330watts RMS. I think the PHOENIX GOLD OCTANE R5.0:4 would be a good match for my system. Then I could turn up the gain on my MMATS amp for my sub. :D I like a well balanced sound system. I don't like when the bass covers up the mids and tweets. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A friend has a Clarion APA4320 and it is a very nice amp. So now I'm torn between the Phoenix Gold and the Clarion. [​IMG]

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Come on audio guru's, give me some opinions.

7. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

No Guru here... just been cobbeling together car audio systems since 85 in the various vehicle I've had.

Used to be you could just pick a reputable American Made brand and buy whatever wattage you needed or could afford... it seems that now all the 'Trusted' names have gone Chinese, so I suggest you just check the specs and take a chance on one.

Back in the hey day of American Made amps PG was among the elite, not even the same company now though :(

I am still a firm believer in those old amps of yesteryear, just bought one of the older MTX Blue Thunder amps for my system (American Made) and it sounds pretty good. Is it as good as the SoundStreams I used to run when I was bigger into this and had mommy and daddy to pay my bills so I could spend all my cash on cars, audio and chix? NO, its not that good (kicks self for getting rid of the cars, audio and chix), but sounds ok for this old married dad.

I say just pull the trigger and try out one of 'em... how bad could they be? Guess we won't know till you tell us ;)

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I didn't know Phoenix Gold has changed hands. I'm still leaning towrds the PG Octane R5.0:4. I'm bidding on a Clarion APA4320 on Ebay, but I'm pretty sure I'll get out bid. If so, then I'll go ahead with the Phoenix Gold Octane R5.0:4.

9. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

there are probably a half dozen "good" audio forums out there. You should search for one and get active on one of those. Lots of guys that compete and what not could give you a lot better insight then what we can here. Most of us have dabbled a lot and done up several vechicles along the way but there you'll get a lot better insight.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm a member on www.termpro.com and have posted same question. I like getting many many opinions. Only thing with those audio forums, they all recomend the very very expencive equipment. I'm not building a competition system, just a good sounding quality system for the dailly driver.

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

iirc, the Solid Audio line is american made, and is fairly new to the market, their prices are awsome as well as the quality.

This 1500w monoblock amp i just got for my 15"Kicker subs REALLY get them movin, and sounds awsome. :waytogo:

i checked out their website, but there's not much to it yet, just the products, no pricing yet, i suppose i could talk with the dealer/friend down the road that sold me mine for some prices.

he tells me that this is a company that is so sure of their workmanship ans quality, that if the amp ever breaks, burns out or whatever, (i would imagine within a normal amount of time, like a warranty period) that they will send in replacement TWO new amps. interesting.

Solid Audio link

this 1500w amp BTW, ran me $500 new in the box.
    [​IMG]
    it's alittle dusty in that pic, as i had just finished up with installing it, all my fingerprints, and dirty hands all over it, much like the women i hang with. :doah:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  12. tuffdogstudio

Looked at the Solid audio site and seems like they have a good following in CA, they are pretty vague on amp specs on the site though, just power at ohm... no other info really (including where manufactured). It sounds like your happy with your purchase though and ultimatelay that is all that matters :)

On a side note:
    Kinda scares me when I see guys with their amps mounted to their boxes... seems like "one stop shopping" for the thieves :(

I may just by cynical... the older I get the more cynical I become it seems, but I have been relieved of my vehicles contents more than a few times and it SUX. I hope you have an alarm on the biestie, living in the city as you do.

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

YES i know,,,, :doah: it's a temporary place, hell, it's not even mounted, just sittin there ready for the pickin i guess, was going to mount it under the rear seat, but is too big for when i lay the seats down, so i am looking at other options at the moment, and deciding what i need to build, and where, to hide the two amps i have in there.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I plan on building amp racks in the trunk of the Alero. Put 1 amp per side, hide all the wires behind the panels. Bolt everything down, maybe get some shields with built in cooling fans.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Outbid on that Clarion amp, so looking more and more like I'll get the Phoenix Gold.

16. tuffdogstudio

I know what ya mean about the amps being too big for under the seat... mine barely clear the seat being in the upright position, folded and the seat back doesn't go all the way down, I decided out of sight was more important than seat all the way down... if I have to drive with the seat down and a load I just pop the circuit breaker in the power cable and effectively turn off the amps so they wont be on and over heating. Still have 4 speakers to listen to so I'm not tuneless and I rarely haul enough to have the seats folded down.

17. tuffdogstudio

Good Luck on getting the PG... is it a bid, or BIN? :)

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

PG amp on Ebay I've been watching this one. I've see them relist this auction 3 times so far.

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

This is my favorite spec from the auction:

Frequency Response: 1%

:haha: :haha: :haha:

1% of what?.....the normal 20-20,000Hz audible spectrum??? :D

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeah, I know. But it has too be better then the $25.00 650W Duval 4 channel amp with a single 10A fuce I bought, LOL. Phoenix Gold used too be pretty good, and this id just going too be used in a dailly driver. Just want too turn off the inturnal amp in my head unit and run it as a dead head, cleaner signal. I don't play them at extream volume levels anymore. So I'm hoping I'll be happy with the PG amp. I'm just going too power the Infinity Kappa's with it. I'm probley going too order it with in the next couple of days. Just wanted too do my reschearch and get a few opinions. I apprisheate your inputs. Here's Phoenix Gold's page