Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did Lara do the welding on the 14ff lincoln locker tech article?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by m j, Oct 17, 2004.

1. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I am lousy with remembering names but IIRC it was Lara aka muddin4fun that did that article

the images are on the Ford Truck Enthusiaist (no idea how to spell that word) tech section
    I thought the poor penetration was due to her novice welding and didn't slag it for that reason
    now it looks as though someone else may have done it
    do we know if it held up for any length of time?
    Did Lara lay the beads? I was impressed with her for doing that so I still hope it was her.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know many have said it was not a good job because of the causing play in the gears. Welding the gears together is a much better and not much more difficult procedure.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

welding the gears together is easier then getting a good fit
    that was not in my query.
    I want to find out if she did the welding or did a guy from the FTE site do it?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

IIRC, Lara had a friend of her and Nicks do the welding.

I used to talk to her daily and never heard mention of the FTE site...but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible her friend that did the welding isn't part of that site. She did do a lot of her own work though, but I'm fairly sure the welding itself wasn't her work.

Got a link to the FTE site and pics there?

rene

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

6. tRustyK5

Found this at the bottom...

"Like to thank the Goins’ for the pics and the opportunity to help improve their traction and truck!"

So apparently this guy was the one that welded Lara's spiders up.

Still a poor way to do it...unless you like cracked spiders and side gears. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

rene

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I locked mine like that awhile ago and it was my DD
    I haven't gotten around to popping the diff back out and see what has gone on in there.
    When I did it it had good penetration and fit tight. When it was back together there was no backlash between the wheels.
    When I had the wheels off the ground the other day I noticed that it had almost a 1/4 turn backlash between the wheels. Pretty good sign something let go in there.

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I need to replace that article with a new one that has been submitted, just haven't had time yet. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    I need to replace that article with a new one that has been submitted, just haven't had time yet. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately it's pretty far down the list on the home page...hopefully not that many people have actually done it that way.

Rene

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Rene
    many people have done that and not experienced a failure
    I still say it is the best way to do it.
    I would like to see your failed gears to refute my opinion.

the pics in the article are a very poor example of how to do it
    every valley that doesnt have a side gear tooth in it should be filled completely
    and you should partial fill the ones that do not have a full tooth in them

11. tRustyK5

Michael,

what I experienced was this. The longer I drove it the more 'slop' it had. The weld material is mild steel and the side gears and spiders are at the very least surface hardened. The edge of the side gear tooth baging against the comparitively soft mild steel weld allowed the tooth the slowly cut into the weld over time. The more it did so the more slop it got and the faster the probelm got worse.

I never had a failure, but when I pulled it apart it was mere weeks away. The welds were almost worn away, the spiders were cracked and so were the side gears. There were small chunks of side gear missing.

It's akin to lightly tapping a cold chisel on a mild steel table over and over again. Not much happens in the short term, but over time you'll cut into it pretty deep.

As for the remains, they got chucked over two years ago. I'm convinced that the big gearball is the better way to go. No movement at all.

Rene

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I am aware of your opinion, you have stated the same thing a few times now.
    what surprises me is that you didnt keep the 'trophy' or at least photograph it
    I know many people that weld spiders in that style and have yet to see any fail, albiet not any 14ff
    I know a guy that runs demo derby cars and has run the same welded spider gears for years (new car at least every year, same spiders) in a dodge application.
    tons of toyota locals do it.
    etc etc
    again you know all this as well
    I bought a Detroit, a Traclok, a Powerlok, so no personal experience on my part
    my old datsun 510 we put a pound of slag into it