Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did Regis piss anyone off last night?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Aug 25, 2000.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Did y'all notice that on Millionaire last night that one of the possible answers to one of the questions was "Blazer". "The name 'Beemer' is a nickname for what popular vehicle?" I was offended that they inluded Blazer, with such over-priced heeps as benz and bmw. Now before anyone gets offended (just in case) compare a MB SUV and the bmw SUV to a Blazer. You can't do it, they're not in the same league.
    It was ironic that the guy tried to be funny stating that if he won a big prize, that would be where he would be headed, to the bmw dealership. The fool only got $1000, ya go buy yourself that beemer! I'm sorry, I just hate foriegn, stuff. I own a 75 K5, a 68 SS Camaro, and the wife's car is a Dodge Intrepid, and if I ever win the lotto, I'll buy a Vette or Viper and build the SS!

2. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

Not only am I probably one of the few who own both a K5 Blazer and an ML320 SUV, but last weekend I had to use the ML320 to pull the Blazer out of a hole at the local sandpits.

While I realize there is no comparison, I was impressed with how well the ML320 handled in deep sand. It users rotation sensors to the computer to monitor which wheels are spinning, and the directs power to the wheels that need more. It went through some pretty deep stuff very smooth. I was impressed. Off course, it has ground clearance of about 4 inches. That limits your offroad opportunities.

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

It all depends on what ya wanna do with it.....I'll trade my '74 for a MB or BMW any day......I can always go buy another Blazer. I'm sure Regis has a lifted K5 in his garage as we speak!! [​IMG]

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

4. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

The MB is a Nice aaaaahh, all wheel drive, over sized, road comuter, mini van! Only thing is that MB is too proud to call it a mini van. My subaru wagon has more clearance, better gears, and a stronger drive train (for her size) than the MB. The Subie even has 4low. You would NOT call my subaru a 4x4 would you? So why compare the K5 to it? People like to call things by certain names just to make themselfs feel like they own somthing special. Like " I have a Benz 4x4". Like it`s a Uni Mog, yeh right, what ever you say. By the way even a subaru can pull on big iron. Like a little tractor the subie floats up to the rig and pulls just enough to help out the guy in the F150.

5. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I didn't compare your suburu to a K5, you did, I didn't even know you had a suburu!!! Here's what I was getting at, MB and BMW are marketing there SUVS as SUVS, so why can't they be compared? I do understand the engineering involved in these vehicles, especially the MB, but if you compare them you must also compare performance per dollar. What would happen if you would sink the same amount of cash it takes to buy a MB/BMW into a K5? It would be unstoppable!!

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

You know, your wifes Intrepid and that Viper you'd like to have are pretty much foreign cars now, under the same ownership as Mercedes. I personally don't care where a car is built as long as it's what I want and is reliable. My experience lately is that the foriegn car companies seem to be of higher build quality then than most american builts.

7. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Jason,
    Your opinion is respected. I don't agree however. First of all, the Intrepid is a 94, so MB wasn't even in the picture then, same thing with the Viper. It was concieved well before then. Furthermore, ownership is measured in STOCK, so just because MB owns the majority of Chrysler stock by no means that Chrysler is german. Unfortunately you're right on one thing, that is very disturbing. The notion that "American" cars are American isn't as true today as it was in the past. Detroit is a ghost town now.
    You're last statement contradicts itself. The fact that "American" cars are built abroad means that they are not built here, so they're foreign right? One example, the current Camaro/Firbird are built in Canada. Is it then a foreign car? Wouldn't it then be better than lets say a Honda that is built in LA. By the way the Honda plant in Los Angeles is the only car plant left on the west coast.

8. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Good points, though I beliueve that Daimler-Benz and Chrysler merged, thus the name Daimler-Chrysler, so there is no longer a Chrysler stock, just one for the whole company. I guess it's all a matter of opinion on what nationality a car is now, my personal opinion is to follow the money trail. I even consider Jaguar and Aston-Martin to be American cars since they're owned by Ford, and Opels too since they're a GM product.

9. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I look at it like this... Where do the profits go?? Buy a viper, they go to Germany, buy a Trans Am they go to Detroit. The jeep was instrumental in winning WWII, now the Germans own it. And we nuked Nagasaki to take out the Mitsubishi plant there because imperialistic Japan was trying to take us over, and their cars all over now. Try and sell a Trans Am in Tokyo. Its all pretty sickening.

10. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Jason and JimmyDie,
    You've got good points. Believe me I'm not trying to push my opinion on anyone, I agree more with JimmyD's bottom-line. It's more sickening than anything. I'm a fairly young guy (27) so I haven't seen the same stuff that some of the older genrations have, but I try to remember how important pride is and the sacrafices that have been made to make this country what it is. I guess we're better off building our own stuff in our garages!