Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DID SEARCH! Best way to modify 6.2L with 6.5L parts! *DELETED*

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Batmanjr, Oct 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Post deleted by Batmanjr

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Re: DID SEARCH! Best way to modify 6.2L with 6.5L parts!

For the money. Your better off Just starting with a 6.5L. I wanted to do what you want but after looking around the junk yards etc and for sale forums and ebay, its best to just buy a complete 6.5L some can be had off of wrecks, etc or online way cheaper than the cost of what you plan to do. And if you find a 6.5L that has teh Turbo already etc your all set. its really a bolt in job.

3. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Jeffro,
    Iv'e must of read that thing about 5 times now! Doesn't seem to me to be the ONLY way to get maximum performance! I know I can go Buy a 6.5L Turbo, but for ME, it's actually easier to get parts! What do you think of the basic idea, do all the components pan out to be a perfect picture, or is there something you would change? Thanks for all your input! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I' not suggesting getting a 6.5. I think it's interesting about punching a 6.2 core for 6.5 pistons. It makes perfectly good sense to me. That's the way I'll go when buildup time comes. I'm thinking about a supercharged, intercooled, 18:1, late 6.5 mechanical injected, headers, propane, torque monster. I was merely pointing out the article for it's interesting tidbits. In order that I don't link to anything anyone may have read, please let me know all the pages you've seen already so I don't repeat the offense.

6. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Jeffro,
    I wasn't trying to offend anyone! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifI was just stating!!!! Please don't take it that way! I guess I use this think way too much!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry! I'll try harder....... There. It works... Cool.... Anyways, I really apreciate all the feedback, I was just saying that it was a cool write up and it was well worth posting. I just wanted to know if you were going to do anything different. Who make a blower for the 6.5/6.2? Or will you be costom making an intake? I'm curious, sounds like an awsome idea... Right now with a 700R4 and 4:10, my weak 700 keeps downshifting and my 6.2L can't keep the power to the wheels in order to go above 65 on a regular basis!!!! oops..... THere. I'm thinking of going with a NV4500 and 205, already have 3/4t axles and the 4:10s, but want to really have the power and cruising ability to go down the road comfortably at 75-80... What do you think? You've obviously looked into this more than I have.. Thanks!..

7. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

i would assume then that you are going to use the 92-93 6.2 block? It is unsafe to bore a 6.2 to a 6.5 in any other block as I understand, correct? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

The way I understood it, the 6.2 was built to bore past the bore of what one could bore the 6.5L I've been talking to a good friend of mine at work and he has been working on 6.2 and 6.5 his whole 30 year life(His dad put a 6.5L on a Boss Hog) and he says you can bore a 6.2 L to 6.7L and still be safe! I just want the power of a 6.5L with the structural integrety of a good engine! I'm starting a list of what this is going to cost and if it gets too high, might change over to a cummins or newer Diesel! Don't know, maybe we could get some more opinions on the matter!?

9. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

which is why i say start with a 6.5 block already. 6.5's were made for turbo's, 6.2's werent.

10. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

kickin' is correct. The 92-93 year 6.2L blocks are the ONLY blocks (casting numbers ending in 599) that are safe to bore to 6.5L or more. These blocks were used for both 6.2L and 6.5L engines during the transition years. The earlier model blocks don't have as thick of a cylinder wall. They may still be bored to 6.5L or more, but they'll have terrible cavitation problems or they'll crack the cylinders because of flexing.

A supercharger won't give you as much usable power as a turbo, and it'll cost you twice as much. Plus, it robs HP, since it is driven right off the crank. But it would be cool to do.

If you can get all the parts fairly cheap, then what you suggest is pretty much what Dr. Lee did with his engine.

Good luck.

Casey

11. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I think youre on the right track with the Cummins swap idea.

12. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

WHy? I'm looking at over $4000 invested in the motor and who knows how much to make it fit!!!! Have you done it? I'm looking for experiance and ideas? Noone has a wrong answer here!!! I would have to go with a nv4500 than, but it would bolt right up! What about all the electronics on the engine??? Any ideas of what it would take to do such a swap! If I invest $8000 in the engine swap, why not put that down on a new 3500HD??? Sningle wheel of course! Ideas Ideas Ideas!!!! Anyone else with input!???? I'm really liken the input! Thanks everyone! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well in my opinion, there are 3 types of people:
    people that want to make something happen, and they will make it no matter what the cost is as long as it's different or it's their dream.
    The other is one that just has money and wants to spend it on some TOYS.
    The third is the type that needs something done, but can't afford to go all out and buy everything so he adapts and scrounges and fabricates to get things running.
    What kind are you and what are you looking for? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I am the latter, so you can always count on seing weird things, but you bet they didn't cost me an arm and a leg.
    I would go with a used engine you can always go cheapest this way, you just have to be patient.

14. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I agree Iceman,
    I'm the later too, I'm trying to scronge parts now, probably won't do the actual swap till Summer though! It runs now and gets me to work, just wish it ran better! I'm better at finding good deals and sitting and waiting to have all the pieces! I don't need a cummins in it, but I never leave the option out just in case it somehow comes fesable! Still delimanising! What whould you do to your 6.2L to increase the power?

15. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Whipple makes a supercharger for the hummer, if I'm not mistaken. Cost is a factor so I thought about fabbing one up for an Ebay special, Eaton 112. Not too expensive. Turbo kits are also somewhat cost prohibitive. I was also thinking about dual turbos. One on each exhaust manifold running into a common intercooler, then to the intake. I've been watching too much Junkyard Wars. I guess the cummins idea is cool too, but I like the tinker time the R&D gives me. As soon as I'm finished I'll want to do something else.

16. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I hear you there Jeffro, I was also thinking of running dual turbos! What I wanted to know is how do you tell when too much air is too much? What do you set your exhaust gate at? I've been looking at the turbos off some of the DRMO sites for the forklifts and 5 tons, but I'm not sure if I would be able to push them or would they push too much? Custom manifolds wouldn't be too hard, and the hookup would be a straight 3" exhaust! How far have you looked into this? I like staying with the GM Diesels cause it really keeps me from going way too outside the box! the Cummins idea would cost a fortune and would easily be swayed buy a technicality such as not enough room, exhaust goes straight into firewall, need an electronic controller for another $3000, stuff like that that would be easity overlooked till it was too late! I've talked a little about running a turbo off the main crank, acting more like a blower than a turbo! Any thoughts on this?

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't know about the turbo acting as blower, but as far as too much trubo for diesels, don't worry.
    Diesels like air, there is no such thing as too much air, and they get cooler EGT's with more air, so turbo's are diesel's friends.
    The only thing you want to make sure of is bigger exhaust, what you stuff in has to come out.
    I just finished reading and Article in petersens 4wheel & off road, they talked about all this, they even can use straight NO2 ( nitrous Oxide).
    Which brings me to, Propane, another power adder but only if you have a Turbo. More on that in a thread that I am starting later today.

18. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

If you actually pump too much air, you will cause the heat to be too much and that will cause extensive stress on the block! I was once told that you can have toomuch air and to make sure you don't force too much in, make a waste gate! I don't know who is right though!

19. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

12 valve Cummins used from 89 to 98 are mechanical.

24 valve Cummins used from 98.5 + are fully electronic.

Use a 12 valve and you don't need any controller. Complete, running engines are still expensive, however.

A GM diesel, without lower compression pistons, doesn't like boost above 15 psi. Anything over this and you're likely to blow head gaskets due to extreme head pressure.

John Kennedy has a 6.5L with 18:1 pistons and splayed main caps, and he is running around 25 psi. Still low when you consider a lot of other diesels run at 30 psi or more.

Boost pressure, turbo-lag, and other factors are all controlled by properly matching turbo size to engine size.

Casey

20. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't say anything I don't get from experts, unless it's long term personnal experience.
    I did say, you have to make sure you have room for this air to come out, by bigger exhaust, waste gates, etc..
    But what i was saying, or what diesel experts say is that a diesel gets cooler EGT's with more air in, unlike gas engines that get hotter with leaner conditions.
    Check out these places:
    TTSpowersystems.com , kennedydiesel.com , diesel-central.com , atsturbo.com , hypermaxdiesel.com , bankspower.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.