Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DID SEARCH,WILL DRIVESHAFT FROM A SHORTBED...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Apr 5, 2004.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

fit on a k5 with a six inch lift??? i know the back of the rear fenders are longer,but is the driveshaft??will it work or not?i need mine lengthened about three inches but if its long enough that would be easier obviously. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A shortbed driveshaft is going to be way too long.

3. boggerless

thats what i was wondering.mine is so short that it falls out in my yard but it doesn't on the road.i guess i'll get it done. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

shortening a drive shaft is cheaper than getting it lengthened. you can't just add more tube to the exsisting tube, you must replace the entire tube, while shorting it you just machine it down to the lenghth you need.

what tranny you running? i have a 465/205 driveshaft from a shortbed that you could try out on it. what length do you need?

5. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

My pickup has a 117.5" wheel-base, so its longer than a k5 and probably too much longer.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    My pickup has a 117.5" wheel-base, so its longer than a k5 and probably too much longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I said that in my first post. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

What was said above about, "A shaft that is too long can be shortened but a shaft that is too short needs a new tube" is absoulutely correct. I was on a budget when I made my rear shaft, so I went with a used 3/4 ton longbox shaft from an automatic truck and had to have it shortened and balanced.

7. boggerless

i have a 400 trans and a 203 t case. i was hoping to get a drop in part. i want to have it done for june 5th. what shaft do you guys recomend to shorten, the short bed or a different one? thanks daryl /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a shortbed wouldn't have to shorten as much. you also need a slip in the shaft right?

9. boggerless

yea, mines been shot for years(fill it tight with grease). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif