Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

did some snow wheeling last nite...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, Jan 7, 2007.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i don't have any pics! :eek1: had a really good time. my last snow trip left a bad taste in my mouth regarding off-roading in the snow. last time it was un-passable... snow was too wet or something. anyway, last nite was killer. it was real dry snow and we were able to go many miles thru it, often about 2.5 ft deep or so. we spent the last hour and a half blazing a trail to get down the mountain. we met up with the other folks at 7 last nite and didn't get home till 5 am! :o i didn't think it would be quite so long. we had a bonfire at the top of the mountain and cooked sausage and drank a coulpe beers. my clothes soaked thru and i was freezing, and since i've been working on the wiring i didn' thave the heater hooked up. :mad: suck. had a killer time tho. :D

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

sounds great!! i didn't enjoy my last time either. maybe if we get snow i'll try again.:D

3. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

[​IMG]

Boy do I miss snow wheelin'. It's almost as fun as the MUD!

Good show!

Manny

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

10000000 times cleaner:crazy::D

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

until your headlights are under water and you can't back up cuz of ice.:eek1: sucky sucky i was afeerd.:haha:

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm scared with snow unless it's a snowmobile. Last time I hit some snow I went strait down and buried my K5...

7. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

I find the cleanup just as, infact, even more fun than the MUDDIN itself! :D

What can I say, I'm a sucker for punishment! :haha:

Manny

8. colbystephens

details and pics please. :deal:

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Colby, why not just go get a new ignition cylinder, and replace the thing?

Be a lot less work than hacking your wiring up! Honestly only take you about an hour with a steering wheel puller, and lock plate compressor. Both of which can be made out of a peice of 1/4 flat bar and a few nuts / bolts, or just rented from your local parts house.

Heck, here is a tutorial! It is more for fixing the slop these truck's tilt columns are famous for, but it shows everything you need to know to get at your ignition cylinder!

Its really easy, I promise :)

http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

Oh, and if you don't fix it, I demand a pic of you barrelling down the highway with your goggles on ;)

10. colbystephens

well, here's the thing. i wanted to make it more difficult to start my truck so as to deter theft anyway, so i'm taking this as my opportunity. i put a keyed ignition in the cig lighter/ash tray area, along w/ my glow plugs. i put the power to the truck (which includes the fuel shut-off solenoid) on an unlabeled switch next to 3 other unlabeled switches which control my aux. functions. i just need to find the wires which allow power to the wiper motor and climate control, as i have learned that these are apparently not on the same power source as the power for the guages. :) i also was able to hook up my interior lights, which is something i've never had. holy sh*t that's amazing to be able to see in my truck at nite. :D :D :D really helpful in the snow last nite, for sure.

11. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No reason why you can't install a relay to kill your IP's power supply :) Most guys would get in that thing, and crank it till the battery died thinking it was just some old peice of junk GM diesel that won't start on the best of days!

Only concern with doing it the way you are now is that you are really big time increasing the possiblity of an electrical fire by potentially hooking those different accessories up to unfused power sources, and trust me when I say that electrical fires are not a fun thing to have to deal with, case in point:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=222159

12. colbystephens

my accessories are fused, except my interior lights. i'll put a fuse in there too.. thanks for pointing that out. :D

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

last time i when snow wheeling me and a ford buddy went to a mud spot, bad idea, the soft ground was frozzen solid making it a supper rough ride. bending my fenders up, and ripping out a brake line from the MC, (turns out it was rusted badly) and hurting my sholder where the belt dug in on the bounces, and my head and neck when i forgot to put it back on and hit the roof!