Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did the 1978 Blazers come with Catalytic Converters?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Fiend, Nov 9, 2000.

1. Fiend

Fiend Registered Member

I just bought a 1978 Full Size Blazer - I need to have the emissions tested this month (I live in Phoenix Arizona). Did this vehicle come with a Catalytic (spell?) Converter?

2. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Congrats on the purchase of your blazer. As far as I know, the 78's didn't have any kind of emission equipment. But I'm not an expert.

Eric78K5
    K5-Because Size Matters!

3. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

There is none on mine and I can't find any info that says they do. But I am not certain.

Vincent Michels
    1978 Blazer
    Bruiser (Frost white/Black top/ Light Blue interior)

4. MuleMaster

MuleMaster 1/2 ton status

No catalytic stuff on my 1978 either. Congrats on your purchase!

<font color=blue>K5 Blazer...because size DOES matter
    http://projectmule.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I think all GM trucks built 1975 and later with a GCVW of 6000 or less came with cats.
    -- Mike

6. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

Yes they did....

Like TX Mudder said, all 75-up had cats. If it says Unleaded only with the small fuel hole, then it had cats.

Chris Lucas
    http://www.captkaoscustoms.com

7. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Well I don\'t know

He said "I think" and my 78 doesn't say anywhere unleaded fuel only and doesn't have a small fuel hole. So I am still undecided if they actually all came with converters. Depending on where they were shipped in the US in 78 would determine what stuff they had. Ones to California prolly would. I can't find any stickers under the hood for any emmission equipment. Does anyone have an hard fact wether they came on 78 or actually own a 78 that does. Since we have 3 people with a 78 and no converters.

Vincent Michels
    1978 Blazer
    Bruiser (Frost white/Black top/ Light Blue interior)

8. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Re: Well I don\'t know

My 78 came with factory duals and no cats, the original factory exhaust hangers are still riveted to the frame. Check to see if it had duals, there will be hangers on both sides of the frame that are riveted on. If it had duals it didn't have a cat. Mine has a GVW higher than 6000.
    Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

9. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I have a '78 with no catalytic converter. I was told that full time 4wd w/GVW over 6000 lb. doesn't require one. I think the vehicle production date had something to do with it as well. I didn't understand what full time 4wd had to do with it, but I wasn't gonna argue. The muffler shop could have ripped me off and put one on (for an additional $150), but they double checked and determined it wasn't required. I don't recall their source of information. It looked like a huge GM shop manual. This was three years ago, so pardon the memory loss. The muffler shop was "Dad's" here in Louisville ("No Muff Too Tuff") LOL!!!

behemoth K5

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

OK, someone help me out. How is the GVW figured- weight of vehicle plus payload? I think our trucks only weight 4500, so a 1/2 would put it at 5500 right? What am I missing?
    -- Mike

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

My 78 had no cats, large fuel fill hole, and no reference to "Unleaded Fuel Only". Back when I worked at the parts store we still used books and there was a section heavy for duty emissions 1/2 ton trucks. Basically all the manufactures did was slip an extra leaf into the spring pack and up the GVW. This was done to get around emissions regs in place at that time. My 78 was called a HD even though it had 6 on 5 1/2 lug pattern, 10 Blt fr, 12 Blt rr, & 350/TH350/NP203. The build sheet/data plate will give you the GVW. Remember, you only have to meet the original emissions requirements for the vehicle. If it didn't come with cats new you do not need them.

Jim '80 GMC
    Vote Freedom First!
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com

12. Fiend

Fiend Registered Member

Thanks Guys - It has the "large" hole for leaded gas, it has dual exhaust (factory installed with the "rivets"), no "unleaded fuel" signs, and its way over 6,000 lbs - were talking tank material here. Must have been built for the environment, running on lead! Thanks again for the info.

13. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Fiend,

i have a 78 k10 with not cats and i passed i also live in phoenix so you should pass.

[​IMG]

14. Fiend

Fiend Registered Member

So Impex, what pollution devices did our wonderful emmissions people require to be on the vehicle - do you remember? My beast seems to have "nothing much". No charcol canister, cats, preheat (for exhaust to intake) - just a pvc valve and that is about it!

15. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

My 78 k-10 had heavy duty emissions, no cat. Look in your glove box options. ALL 2 wheel drive 1/2 tons have cats after 74 or if your blzer was sold new in California it
    will have one. Also check your engine compartment label, if it shows an air pump your truck came with a cat.There is also light duty emissions option this has the cat and smog pump. Trucks are a diffrent rating than cars all cars need cats after 74. If you have an owners manual this will show the difference between the heavy and light duty emissions.
    One more thing if your option list shows dual exhaust you won't have the cat.

16. Jimmy Buffett

Jimmy Buffett Registered Member

Some did ... some didn\'t

I have a '78 Jimmy and was told during my emissions tax ... I mean test ... that if on the fuel gauge it says just "fuel" ... not unleaded fuel (or something of the sort) and has a larger hole at the gas filler then it originally came with no converters. Hope this helps

"... if we all couldn't laugh ... we'd all go insane ..."

17. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

GVW = Gross Vehicle Weight, which means the total weight your vehicle can weigh (legally)(weight of the vehicle and cargo). It usually isn't what the vehicle actually weighs (unless you have it loaded to the max). For those who might not have known.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

18. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Fiend:

Yeah i passed, even on the ticket you get back it says "NO CATALYTIC CONVERTER" and yeah i have the same thing as you just pretty much an engine.

[​IMG]