Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did the 1991 V3500 Crew Cab 4X4 Come With...?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1-ton, Oct 1, 2004.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does anybody know if the 1991 Chevrolet V3500 Crew Cab (single rear wheel) 4X4 had the option of coming with a 7.4 Liter engine? My truck needs more power, and if I can go to the 454 then I would like to; but If smog certification forces me to be stuck with a small block, then I will have to build a stroked 383. I guess if I called a Chevy dealership...I could find out.

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I don't know specifically about the newer ones (85+) but the older 3+3 (crew cabs) 4X4's were never supposed to have a big block. I am sure a few fell through the cracks as did many different set ups though.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know specifically about the newer ones (85+) but the older 3+3 (crew cabs) 4X4's were never supposed to have a big block. I am sure a few fell through the cracks as did many different set ups though.

[/ QUOTE ]

My buddy has had about 6 3+3 crew cabs and they were all 454's and they were all earlier years. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

This may help, although it doesn't specify srw or 4 door.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes they did. Pulled one apart myself, have the 4L80E in the backyard, the 205 in the garage, and the TBI system off of it at my parents. The guy wanted to keep the block though.

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

They did have 'em and I wish I had one, mine has a tired 350 as well. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

I would say yes.
    I have an 89, single wheel, crew cab with a 454 thats stock.

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

The truck I got my D60 from (an 82 crewcab longbed 4x4) had a 454.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I can't imagine a more appropriate application than a 1 ton 4 door truck for a 454.

10. 1-ton

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that they where an available option for my truck. When I change it over to a big block, I do not want to get a surprise, and be told my truck cannot be legally smogged because big blocks where not an available option for my truck. As long as a 7.4 Liter was a factory option for my truck, then I should be able to change it over without any legal hassles from the state smog inspectors.

11. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Is there a chance the inspectors actually check the motor vs. VIN? Just curious, we don't have inspections here so I don't know how they work with respect to modifications.

12. 1-ton

My Next Question...?

My next question is about the ECM for a big block engine? Will the original one for the small block be able to properly meter a big block, can I put another chip in the old one for a big block; or will I have to buy an entirely new ECM? Maybe I could get an ECM that was around the same year as my truck for a big block from a junkyard?

13. 1-ton

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there a chance the inspectors actually check the motor vs. VIN? Just curious, we don't have inspections here so I don't know how they work with respect to modifications.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they do check for engine size. The inspecters have a "fill in the blank" question software program, wich asks questions such as:

How Many Liters? 5.7/7.4

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating? 8600/10,000

Transmision? Auto/Manual

and so on...

Many times the state smog inspection software menu will have all the engine options that where available for that truck, like a repair or parts manual will, to choose from, and if 7.4 Liters does not come up as a choice on that software, then your vehicle cannot be smogged.

14. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

i would suggest going and talking to an inspection station, tell them what your planning on doing, and ask them to look it up in their computer. assumptions wont get you the sticker.

15. 1-ton

I talked to a parts guy at a Chevy dealership, and he confirmed that the 7.4 Liter engine was an optoion for every year of V3500 truck manufactured. He also stated that because my truck is a V3500 that the ECM for my 5.7 Liter would most likely work on with a 7.4 Liter, but he told me to get back to him with the ECM's part number, in order to confirm it.

[ QUOTE ]
    assumptions wont get you the sticker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I will run this scenario past a smog inspetor to get his opinion.