Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did the CS144 swap in a 6.2 and started my half doors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Mar 12, 2006.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I got my CS144 alternator installed in my 6.2 today and good god it was easy. The wires on the new pigtail for it are the same colors as the ones on the factory harness so it was a breeze to hook up. It is a little bigger than the stock one so I just loosened all the bolts for the upper bracket, tensioned the bitch and then tightened the bolts back down. I also started on my halfdoors. For the inner door handle, the rod has enough play in it I just moved it down and was even able to use an original threaded hole.

100_1102.jpg

100_1103.jpg

100_1104.jpg

100_1105.jpg

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Be careful with the high output alts if you connect it to the stock wiring. Under heavy load they can overload the stock wiring because the gauge wire is to small. I watched a 140 amp alt fry stock wiring when the truck was winching on a somewhat easy pull.

I wired my alternator to charge the battery directly with an 8ga. wire so I wouldn't have to worry about the stock wiring going up in smoke.

Harley

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I am running that alt and happen to have been the guy that smoked my primary loop. I now run 4ga with no problems. I have had a hell of a time keeping the belt from squeeling when it has a heavy load.

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tip. Is the "stock wiring" you speak of the lead that goes dirrectly from the screw post on the back of the alternator to the positive battery terminal? If so, mine is 10 gauge. I guess I'll just see how it works and if I roast it I'll upgrade later.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Your 6.2 must be set up differently than mine. I installed a CS144 alternator on mine several years ago, but the coolant lines going to the heater were in the way when I rotated the bracket up to accomodate the larger alternator. I had to remove the straight fitting (pointed out towards the pass. side) and replace it with a 45 degree fitting positioned just right, and also put a decent sized notch in the bracket to clear it.

Go ahead and install a larger charge wire (from alt. output to battery). You can buy a 4 ga. cable with the right ends already at any parts store for cheap and have it installed in about 2 minutes.

I do have some issues with the alt. belt slipping under heavy loads, but usually tightening up takes care of the problem.

6. tacomuncher

tacomuncher 1/2 ton status

Where did u get the cs 144 from any part numbers?

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

In stock form the charging wire from the alternator goes to the starter post and then from the starter post to the power post on the firewall. If your alternator is charging the battery directly then that should be ok. The only thing you might have to upgrade the wire size if it starts to fry.

I don't have a 140 amp alt so my 85-90 amp alt won't overpower the 8 gauge wire I have, and I doubt that 140amper would either.

Harley