Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

did the Road trip to utah... didn't bring the burb... :-(

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ddragggon, May 16, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

did the Road trip to utah... didn\'t bring the burb... :-(

well, tuesday evening after several setbacks and time delays, I was finaly able to leave phoenix, and like an idiot, I took my fathers offer to take his lil' red econobox nissan truck... the first 20 miles were great. the AC was cooling the phoenix heat away, the cruise control was possibly the coolest thing ever invented, and the freeway was flowing nice... then, I went to plug my CD player into the casset deck so I could listen to some non-radio commercial free anti-suck music... the deck wouldn't read the tape adaptor thinggie... so, I suffered with the radio until I spotted a wal-mart by the freeway, and stopped to see if they had an RF CD adaptor instead of the Tape adaptor... they of course, didn't, so I just got soem earphones and continued on... getting back on the freeway was a pain... no one respects a lil econobox truck like they do a glasspack bigblock suburban... so, I start traveling up the US 60 towards wickenburg/kingman, and something very odd begins happening.... I come to hills, and it doesn;t just climb them... it starts slowing down until the cruise control disengages, and I have to start downshifting. the rigid strait back seat is also begining to make me wish for my old spring-broken bench in the yellow monster of a truck (as well as the 1600 odd watts of stereo power) and the AC is begining to run frigidly cold ( I was immagining ice cicles, and frost rings on the windows) and regardless of how much I turned it down, it still spat ice... if I turned it off, the AZ desert heat instantly had the cab back to roasting temperatures... oh well. I eventualy get to mesquite, and check into the hotel of choice, and get a few hours of sleep. then, I take off in the morning hours again, and start heading up I-15 towards salt lake... the stiff seat back is really starting to become a pain in my back, and I finaly got a cd adaptor that would work with the tapedeck. fast forward 6 hours or so, I'm nearing provo, when suddenly the freeway comes to a complete solid stop. apparently someone dropped a trailer (or had thier trailer sideswiped) took out 6 or 7 cars, and dumped the boat crossways the flow of traffic. so, I'm sitting here in the red econobox, wishing I didn;t have to keep clutching and braking, clutching and braking etc for about an hour and a half. I also learned that most Utah-enese people are downright @#$^ing psychopaths on the freeway... freeways stuck stop not moving? no problem, there's an open median I can make a U-turn on, into the fast lane of traffic on the other side. they also don't respect the lil red econobox pickup like they probably would an ancient suburban, so merging down to a single lane was a giant pain. EVERYONE would floor it when I'd try to get in, then glare at me like some kind of evil bastard satanic harpie ( I do have long hair, and lets face it: I'm in mormon central) oh well... traffic started moving again, and I was the only one content with going 5 MPH over the speedlimit... everyone else was doing something obscene like 90 or 300 or something... finaly made it to my grand parents house tho, which is all good ( except my grandmother hounding me to go on a mission like a good little mormon boy, and make them proud like all my other cousins have, and all that) I do not look forward to the return trip, and couldn't convince my parents to drive my C20 up here for me.... oh well, live and learn I suppose,

-Rich

PS, sorry for the rant like nature of this post, and no offense to the people of Utah: I'm sure some of you don't hate me for being a long hair, ex mormon, and not all of you bomb down the freeway at a billion miles an hour... just none of you were out there yesterday when I was. (I don't want to get started in on my views of mormonisim... prolly piss off several people, and get my truck torched on the way out of town)

2. ZuluNashun

ZuluNashun Registered Member

Re: did the Road trip to utah... didn\'t bring the burb... :-(

The people up in Utah really are arses on the freeway. I drive a little honda accord back and forth to work, and if I'm not constantly watching every mirror and two hands on the wheel, I would probably be dead from the side swipe at 75 mph because little miss poofy hair was puting on her make up in the car and swerved across 4 lanes of traffic to make the exit she missed. Everyone is always in more of a hurry than me (or so they drive like it). Be careful going back. I'll be making that drive next friday. Only I'm going to Prescott for the weekend and then coming back up. Later

3. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

And if you think they're bad in SLC , just try driving through Provo where the signature move is to cut right in front or your truck and slam on their brakes.

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I saw an accident in provo, or rather, the aftermath of an accident, after beingparked for almost 2 hours behind it... it involved about 6 vehiles, a boat trailer on the west side of the road, and a boat on the east, with the cars dispersed randomly between those 2 points.... I'm guessing either someone sideswiped the trailer, or the person with the trailer side swiped someone with the trailer, and launched the boat ( 1/4mile of scrape marks on the concrete from the sliding prop)

I dunno what it is about utah-onians, and lack of boat saftey, but on the way home yesterday, somewhere around `point of the mountain' I came accross a large flatbed that was pulled over, with an overhead crane loading a boaton board.... with about 3 or 4 sea-doo's in the median, and another boat down the hill.... anyone ever heard of securing a load?

on a final note, I think the best way to describe the Utah driving style is `driving like they're protected by god' I mean sure, god can protect you to some extent, but with the number of retards out there, he's too busy to really do a good job.... oh well, not ever going back in anything smaller then my C20 trailering `burb....

-Rich

5. tomseviltwin

LOL!! you are bitter.

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I'd rather drive in NYC then Utah - Utah has the rudest drivers of anywhere I have been.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The town with the worst/rudest drivers I ever encountered was Boise, Idaho.

8. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

LOL!! you are bitter.

<hr></blockquote>

bitter.... BITTER!!!!?! I'LL SHOW YOU BITTER!!!

heh, jsut kiddin... and yes,I am kinda bitter about some stuff lately. its mostly due to an extreme pile of stress, that's been lumping up on top of me like a giant lump of stress....

my calander is as follows:
    June 2, lease is up at my apparment. move before then.
    June1-11, my company moves.
    June 3-8, Anunual Scoutcamp (I'm assistant scoutmaster)
    June1, friends lease is up, help move him.

now, as we can all see, the problem herein is that I've got several things double and tripple booked here, due to various parties, and organizations being jerks about thier scheduling (work)even tho I've had other things planned for several months in advance (move, scoutcamp) I've been told I must devote my entire first half of june to shifting everyone, and their damn pooters over to the new building. what's thier justification for trampling over my pre planned vacations? well, the VP has to give up his hunting, and one of the foremen is postphoning his honeymoon, and several other piles of bullshit. if they're going to miss thier crap, then fine, perhaps tehy should have scheduled better, but it doesn;t give them the right to screw me out of my week at camp, guiding the youth of tomorrow in ways that should help prevent them from killing everyone in the universe indescriminantly, or turning into jerks.

oh well, just stressin...don't mind me...

-Rich

9. tomseviltwin

"Utah has the rudest drivers of anywhere I have been"

Sadly, I think you're right. The funniest thing happened a month ago. I was driving outside of Utah and happened to use my turn signal. No one cut me off, sped around from behind to block lane, or flip me the bird. Wow

10. tomseviltwin

Hang in there!!

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

You think thats bad try liveing here. (or there, depending on where your sitting at the time)