Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DID VALVE SEALS! NO STUCK LIFTER? NOISY ROCKER? WTF HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wally81k5, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

I did all my valve seals today, went good. slow but done.

NOW! I tightened the rockers with the cylinder at TDC.

THEN! I started it, loosened each rocker until it chattered, then till it didn't then 1 full turn.. I think this is right.

I did them all but!!!

I have a good strong top end kinda knock, maybe a stuck lifter? Maybe a noisy rocker arm?!

Gimme your ideas and any help you can!

Did i adjust my valves right?

How do i make a stuck lifter un stuck?

HELP!!

Wally

PS: It doesn't smoke when i start it now!

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think tis just quarter turn after it stops chattering. Not sure that would cause a good knock or really be a problem.

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Dude... prolly tightened them too tight.
    Loosen them till they clatter, tighten them till they just stop rattlin, then go 1/4 to 1/2 turn more. Silly question, but did ya leave a wrench in there? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe check for a broken rocker arm. Possibly they were too tight and one busted... you know like mine were doing?
    Either way, you have to pop the covers off again.
    Let me know.
    Mike

4. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

yeah, i will take all the rocker arms off, relube and re tighten ( got panicy after like 8 hours off messing with it)

What does a stuck lifter sound like?

Anyways, at least it doens't smoke

I haven't put the covers on yet!! thank god!

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Modified engines need 1/4 to 1/2 turn after chattering stops. Stock motors go 1/2 to 1 full turn after chattering stops. With the motor running and the valve cover off start the engine and let idle. Pinch each rocker with your thumb and forefinger. Don't be scared they moving slower than they look. You will be able to feel whatever rocker is clanking around if you dont see it jumping around. If the lifters aren't too old, the problem might be a piece of gasket or sealant stuck in the lifter. What I have done for this that has always worked is take the rocker and pushrod out. Then get some carb cleaner, with the little red hose attached, stick it in the lifter hole where the pushrod goes and give it a few heathy squirts. Once it works or you decide to give up make sure you change the oil though.