Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did you hear anything disturbing in the Cheney/Edwards debate?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Oct 6, 2004.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The thing that Edwards said that really scared me was

[ QUOTE ]
    And we're also going to finally do something about the cost of prescription drugs.

They've blocked allowing prescription drugs into this country from Canada. We're going to allow it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this bother anyone else? Does anything else said bother you?

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Oh, you mean the part about allowing drugs that aren't tested by the fda?
    Who cares, we've got bigger problems in this country than bizarre side effects...

3. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Smart thing to do! We need to address alternative ways to confront this issue! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, that bothers me, considering the fact that John Edwards and his ilk are a good part of the reason health care costs so much.

Scumbag.

5. backcountry

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, you mean the part about allowing drugs that aren't tested by the fda?
    Who cares, we've got bigger problems in this country than bizarre side effects...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think that just because the FDA approves something, that it is safe? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Check This Out!

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Say good-bye to any new types of revolutionary medication.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    RecalledDrugs.com is a law firm produced newsletter about product safety and product liability. This is not a government, manufacturer, or medical website. Information may not be complete or current.

Some products on this website may not be subject of a warning or recall. You should not stop medication without first consulting your doctor.

If you have a medical question or concern you should consult a qualified physician.

[/ QUOTE ]

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Say good-bye to any new types of revolutionary medication.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is it exactly. When did the last revolutionary medication come from Canada? I don't know either. It takes about $500 billion to research, develope, test, and approve a new drug. Then Canada is allowed to rip-off the patent and produce generics to sell to the US. I wonder what the incentive would be for a drug company to invest $500 billion dollars into a new drug if they know that they will never make it back? If you think that we should buy drugs from Canada you also need to hope that you never need a new drug for any type of illness. Illnesses pop up out of nowhere, SARS? West Nile? Anthrax? There are diseases and illnesses today that still do not have any medication to treat, cure, or prevent it, and if you buy drugs from Canada there never will be...

9. backcountry

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    RecalledDrugs.com is a law firm produced newsletter about product safety and product liability. This is not a government, manufacturer, or medical website. Information may not be complete or current.

Some products on this website may not be subject of a warning or recall. You should not stop medication without first consulting your doctor.

If you have a medical question or concern you should consult a qualified physician.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unsafe Drugs
    In recent years, several drugs and dietary supplements have been linked to serious health problems, clearling outweighing their potential benefits. According to the Journal of the American Association, adverse drug reactions resulting from correctly administered Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved prescription drugs are responsible for over 100,000 deaths per year in the United States making it the fourth leading cause of death in the United States.

There are also typically over 2.2 million annual occurrences of non-fatal, but serious, reactions, and millions of complications and disabilities related to the unexpected effects of drugs and a variety of products.

Drug Recalls, Warnings & Alerts
    The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is responsible for ensuring the safety of a variety of products, including drugs, medical devices and foods.

A RECALL is an action taken to remove a product from the market. Recalls are conducted by FDA request or on the initiative of the manufacturer. In many recall situations (Class I Recall) there may be a reasonable probability that the use of or exposure to a product will cause serious injury or death. A Class II Recall is a situation where use or exposure to a product may cause temporary or medically reversible injury. The recall of a defective or harmful consumer product is sometimes publicized in newspapers and in news broadcasts. This may be especially true when a recall involves drugs, medical devices, foods or other products regulated by the FDA. The FDA seeks publicity about a recall only when it believes the public needs to be alerted about a serious hazard.

The FDA expects companies to take full responsibility for product recalls, including follow-up checks to assure that recalls are successful. FDA guidelines call on manufacturers to develop contingency plans for product recalls. After a recall is completed, the FDA makes sure that the product is destroyed or suitably reconditioned and investigates why the product was defective.

Why don't you research these before you make your decision?

Baycol, Fen Phen, Rezulin,
    Propulsid, PPA, Lotronex,
    Ephedra, Vioxx

Just a small example! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Who cares???? Close to everything sold from toasters to carseats to cars to food has to have some type of safety approval, yet everything still has recalls. Are drug manufactures and the FDA better that God, therefore making them infallible?

11. backcountry

[ QUOTE ]
    Who cares???? Close to everything sold from toasters to carseats to cars to food has to have some type of safety approval, yet everything still has recalls. Are drug manufactures and the FDA better that God, therefore making them infallible?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who Cares!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

We all should care bro!

(FDA)-approved prescription drugs are responsible for over 100,000 deaths per year in the United States making it the fourth leading cause of death in the United States.

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Correct the first three leading causes, then I'll worry about it.

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Oh ya, you missed a question

[ QUOTE ]
    Are drug manufactures and the FDA better that God, therefore making them infallible?

[/ QUOTE ]

And another - Are these humans not capable of error? I could never be a liberal as I realize that I error on a daily basis.

14. backcountry

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Name them for me and I will get on it right away! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

15. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    (FDA)-approved prescription drugs are responsible for over 100,000 deaths per year in the United States making it the fourth leading cause of death in the United States.

[/ QUOTE ]

just out of curiosity, how many of those were due to improper use?

16. backcountry

I think you are lost! Go back and review your own question! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Name them for me and I will get on it right away! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell should I know, it was your post /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Furthermore, I don't really care.

18. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think you are lost! Go back and review your own question! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I am lost. You have lost me, what are you talking about?

19. backcountry

Let's solve the drug related deaths first, then we will work on the other 3! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

20. backcountry

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just out of curiosity, how many of those were due to improper use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dam good question! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I imagine that these known drugs do specific damage and therefore during autopsies can be attributed to these drugs.
    The amount in your system would also show up! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif