Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Didn't last long

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by C5K5, Aug 9, 2002.

1. C5K5

C5K5 Registered Member

Didn\'t last long

Well, had to sell it, and I just bought it last Dec. Liked the K5 a lot (my family had two while I was growing up), for size, power, look, removable top, etc, but was spending all my $$ on keeping it running instead of building a capable trail beast. It was a too big for my wife's tastes, and the 9 mpg wasn't too exciting either. Anyway, now I'm an XJ driver, and maybe I'll catch you on Jeepsunlimited.com or a trail someday...

Adam
    <font color="blue"> "Some people have a way with words. Others no have way." </font color>

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Didn\'t last long

Traitor! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Another one bites the dust! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Sorry to hear it, but if you think you're going to save maintenence costs on a jeep you're mistaken. Those "trucks" are built for light duty use only. They do make good trail rigs but usually only after swapping all the running gear over to GM stuff. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Unless you pick up an old non-chrystler jeep and then they are usually beat out. And parts will always be more expensive than the GM equivalent. I had to learn my lesson the hard way too as a previous Toyota owner. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

4. Robbie6987

Robbie6987 1/2 ton status

Yeah will probally see you looking for parts here not far from know /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. BIG STEVE

BIG STEVE Registered Member

The only relible parts i ever had on the jeeps i had were the sb chevy eng. that last one couldent even go to 7v
    for a big gulp with out some kind of major rebuild.
    to mutch power for those pultrey little things /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif
    always had chevys so wy did i get sucked into that jeep
    thingibobor /forums/images/icons/confused.gif
    90 JIMMY

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The main problem I had with my '76 CJ7 was the rear axle. A set of D44s would have fixed that fine. No diference than K5 owners upgrading to 1 ton stuff.

7. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Yea, except that the engines, trannys, and just about everything mechanical on the chrystler jeeps is designed to a minimal spec. This applies to all the imports and most of the newer US cars too. If the engine makes 150ft lbs. of torque they will mate it to a tranny that can handle 155ft lbs. If it takes 2 lbs of force to roll down the window, the mechanism is built to handle 2.2 lbs of force. The old American cars were built (over-built) to much higher standards. They were built to last 20-30 years or more. GM carried this old school way of thought until the late 80s early 90s before they started to join the bandwagon. Most of the new cars created are disposable with a life expectancy of only a few years. Don't think that your kids will be driving that 2002 Maxima or Jetta sitting in your driveway when they are your age. It'll be a rusted out heap sitting in a non-environmentally friendly junkyard years before it ever becomes worth restoring or collecting. By the time the new cars start having some mechanical problems the new age buyer is ready to trade it in on the latest model, re-finance and go deeper into debt. Heck, it's the American way! If you're not up to your armpits in debt, trying to own all the cool toys and live the "modern" style of life you see advertised on TV, then something must be wrong with you. Don't buy into the propaganda! Use your minds and figure out for yourself what it truly a good value. Let the lemmings go wherever the hell they want, just don't get swept along in the rush.

Sorry for the rant, warped perceptions like this that are based on what the neighbors drive, or what the wife wants, or what is "popular" at the time, just really get to me. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Oh and no offense meant toward anyone's neighbors or wife or anything. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I don't know how I got so far off the topic. If you plan to use a vehicle in a heavy duty application, then start with a heavy duty vehicle. If money, time, and labor are something you have excesses of, then building a light duty suv into a capable off-road vehicle might be a fun and rewarding experience.