Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

didn't start, could it be the timimg?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtynails, Aug 30, 2006.

1. dirtynails

dirtynails Registered Member

So I put in my new new distributor on my stock 350 and it seemed good at 14 degrees advance. A couple of days later it did not want to start. I checked out all the stuff I could think of and didn't find anything much wrong and decided maybe it was a little too advanced for good starting so I backed off a little on it. Is this a reasonable theory or should I be thinking something else was the problem? I live at 5700 feet altitude, maybe that has something to do with what kind of timing it can take.

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I ran my small blocks at 13 degrees advanced while they were still carbed, and I never had any pinging problems / hot start problems. I'd be checking to make sure the module was good myself -- Could be bad, even with a brand new distributer.

My TBI truck runs at 24 degrees at an idle -- Should be 15 - 18, but I have to advance the base timing to get top end performance. It does make for a bit of a choppy idle though, lol

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

That's for sure! You can yank the ignition module and have someplace like Blotto Zone test it for free.