Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DIED cranked to nothing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DUKE, Apr 23, 2002.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Events as best I can discribe;
    Truck is running great long time no problems, I run up to my appartment to get some books for class, jump back into the truck in a hurry crank her. I hear a few klicks in a row. Similar to the kind like when you keep the key turned after the engine is running. Everything is dead, jump out check the battery connections and the battery all good. still dead. go for a jump start, turn the key and the volt gauge works, turn the key just one click dead. Now she is dead and the battery is fine. WHAT WHAT WHAT. It is late and dark give me ideas for the morning. I was thinking I finaly killed the starter, but wouldnt the electronics work still? did it blow a fuse in the prosess? why would the electrics work again for a sec but then not again? HELP

2. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

How do you know the battery is good. I had similar problems, couldn't even jumpstart. I changed the battery with a spare, same symptoms. Turns out both batteries were bad.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Shot in the dark but, starter's shot...

Chris

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've had batteries just die suddenly, for no apparent reason. But more often, I've found corrosion under the side post connector. Remove both cables and make sure that there isn't anything growing under the rubber insulation. If so, clean them up good and put 'em back on.

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

It sounds like a heat soak problem with the solenoid. This used to happen to me all the time. I would drive it to a store or something, shut it off, and then come back out and it wouldn't start. Usually I would wait a few minutes until it cooled off and then I would hit the starter with a hammer. It would usually get me to the parts store for a new starter.

I would get a Furd remote solenoid or buy one from Summit for around $25. Mount it on the inner fender and call it good.

My 2 sense.