Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DieHard batteries

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Feb 25, 2001.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I had in my Blazer some battery from Wal-Mart. It finally died on me for good (was 5 years old). I bought a battery from Sears about 3 months ago. Since then I have been back there 6 times because it's been dead. They say it's a wiring problem on my end. The other battery was always fine so I doubt this. I had the wiring checked and it was fine. But still dead Die Hard. I put a battery in my friend lent me to see if it would go dead...it didn't. I plop the Die Hard in and it Dies Hard in 4 days. Is it just me or does these batteries suck? Or is there something wrong I am over looking? I could buy another battery if that's the case but man...if it is I dropped $70 bucks on this thing. Makes me mad to waste money like that.

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

2. ragtop

ragtop Registered Member

Though not the norm, I've had a "bad Diehard" straight from the store before. On the first trip back they gave me no hassel about replacing it. They should first check the battery and if they then tell you that it's your charging system, they can quickly check that too (should be no $ charge). If the charging system is OK there could easily be an internal short in one of the battery's cells that may only show up when the battery is shaken (i.e. while driving). I'd talk to a manager and then, if necessary, threaten, and write a nasty letter to sears. Your problem is not that uncommon. All I use are Diehards in all three of my cars, and have had one deep cycle and one regular Diehard in my K5 for just over a year. I regularly discharge the deep cycle while camping in the summer and use the other to start it and then recharge the deep cycle. I just checked both this past Sat with a load tester and both are good as new! I usually get right at 5 years from a Diehard before having to replace it. Don't throw away $70 without a good fight cause your right!

Ragtop - '88K5 [​IMG]

3. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Doing the typical tests don't seem to be locating the problem. See if your friend will let you put the Die Hard in his vehicle. If it goes dead again after 4 days, you will know for certain, it's the battery.

I've always owned Die Hards and never had any problems with them, but I am done with Die Hards. I have learned that Sears has changed manufacturers and they no longer build the Die Hard to the same high standards of the past. That's why they don't last as long as they once did and new ones are turning up as defective. When I bought my K5 last August, it came with a new 650 CCA Die Hard (too small for a K5 IMHO). The Die Hard in my 280ZX was 9 years old (and still working fine), so I moved the Die Hard from the Blazer to my 280ZX and bought an Optima Red top for the Blazer. If I didn't buy the Optima, my second choice would have been an Interstate, and my third choice would have been a Delco. I hear good things about them also. Good Luck.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya, sounds like you may have problems else where.

I had a bad alternator once.. When I had Autozone test it, the tester was saying it was the battery. So I broke down and bought an Autozone battery(I usually always buy Diehards).. Well I buy the battery and install it, then test the system again and it shows the battery being bad again... So, we figure it was the alternator, and it was that problem... Returned the 'Zone battery in for an alternator and it was purring fine!

My family has run Diehards for years, without problems...

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My last 3 DieHards in my S-10 lasted 13-15 months. Just beyond the "free replacement" period. They would die without warning. One day everything was fine, the next day the dome lights wouldn't even come on, even after 4 hours on the battery charger! When the 3rd one died I told Sears to stick their battery. I was DONE paying their "adjustment" fees. Installed a Duralast Gold (with the 3-year free replacement warranty) over 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since.

Many years ago I had to get ugly with the Sears folks over a battery that would work fine... Until the temp was 28 degrees or less. Then it was like the battery wasn't even installed. No lights, no nothing. If it was warmer than that the battery worked fine! Of course, it was always warm when Sears would test it... The replacement never gave me a problem.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

DIE HARDS SUCK! We have them (2 one for main and one for A/C converter) on our company van and we can' seem to get much more than a year out of them. They also have a nice clause "since it's a comercial vehicle we screw you on the warranty".
    Die Hard use to be a good battery but not any more. Last 3 batteries I have bought have been from Autozone. For the 2 trucks I got the bigest battery they listed with a 3 year REPLACEMENT 8 year total warranty for less than a Die Hard of the same rating. And it has better warranty. So far not an ounce of problems. One has 2 years on it and sits for weeks at a time and always cranks. The other 2 I got about 10 months ago, no problems. I asked the guy if they had any of the Screw clauses like comercial vehicle and Winches he said no...if it fails to start the vehicle bring it in we will take care of it no questions asked, the first 3 years is swap and prorated the last 5.
    Man those batteries seem to give it up 2 year and 10 months ...hay it didnt start my car can you swap it [​IMG]

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

DIE HARDS SUCK! We have them (2 one for main and one for A/C converter) on our company van and we can' seem to get much more than a year out of them. They also have a nice clause "since it's a comercial vehicle we screw you on the warranty".
    Die Hard use to be a good battery but not any more. Last 3 batteries I have bought have been from Autozone. For the 2 trucks I got the bigest battery they listed with a 3 year REPLACEMENT 8 year total warranty for less than a Die Hard of the same rating. And it has better warranty. So far not an ounce of problems. One has 2 years on it and sits for weeks at a time and always cranks. The other 2 I got about 10 months ago, no problems. I asked the guy if they had any of the Screw clauses like comercial vehicle and Winches he said no...if it fails to start the vehicle bring it in we will take care of it no questions asked, the first 3 years is swap and prorated the last 5.
    Man those batteries seem to give it up 2 year and 10 months ...hay it didnt start my car can you swap it [​IMG]

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

8. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Thats really weird I had the EXACT samething happen to me a week back( my WalMart battery 5 yrs old.) I hate, absolutely hate Sears motor/mechanical shop and automotive service. They rip you a whole new a-hole when it comes to service. We had a nissan that mysteriouly lost all its a/c coolant when we had our rear shocks replaced. The system was freshly replaced by the dealer and was leak tested before and after the shocks were installed. The dealer found a check fitting that had clearly been tampered with. The morons broke the shock mount on the rear and tried to charge me for that too. Personally I would go with an Optima and call it a day. They have a new red top that is cheaper than the original. If you think you are having an alternator problem get it checked at two shops with testing equip. so you can rule out anything. I think that testing your diehard in a buddies car is a great idea to see what is going on.

[​IMG]

9. MEM

MEM Registered Member

I never had a problem with DieHards. As a matter of fact I have one in my 87 Jeep Wrangler. I haven't used the jeep since Nov. 99. I decided to put it up for sale a couple of weeks ago, so I got myself all ready to give the jeep a jump. Wouldn't you know the engine cranked! To my surprise all that I needed was a little carb. cleaner and the engine turned over and ran. The battery held its charge for over 14 months! BTW, the jeep is still for sale.

10. ChevyCaGal

Well guess what...the Die Hard was dead this morning (I missed work! GRRR!)! I just got back from taking it over to Sears. This is number 3 battery of theirs in as many months. They all were like hmmm wow it's dead again? I know it's not the alternator...sucker is brand new (and was tasted, but not by Autozone). It's not the wiring or anything like that I paid to have it checked out. The place I took it to is one of the best in town so I know that they aren't lyin'. I told em if this one goes dead it's coming back with me and I am geting my money back. The guy said we don't do that after this long and I said you will for me :-) and he will or I will be like that old lady in the Winston tire commercials and toss my battery through the window. But I am convinced they suck now....I never had a problem with the other battery and now I have them? Not to mention my friends battery was fine when I installed it. It's theirs..has to be. I think out here maybe we are getting the rejects that wouldn't sell where you live...cuz these ones sure suck! Maybe some of you guys are having good luck? I am not. I will not buy from them ever again.

11. ChevyCaGal

OOPS the alternator was tested....not tasted. That would just be weird if it was....

12. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I just kinda buzzed through the posts, but have you done a draw test on your blazer? The chances of getting 3 bad batteries is nearly impossible. I know at our shop people have complained about this like this and it always comes to a draw of somesort. We only deal Interstate and AC Delco... mostly the choice comes down to the open caps on the Interstates or the sealed (no caps) on the AC Delcos. Oh yeah... all your tests should be done w/ a HIGH quality multimeter and not a cheap tester like some auto parts, sears, and other stores have. Vat 40's, Snap-on KV/Ign meters are excelent! When you test for a draw use the amps scale on a multimeter and not a test light. May want to take it to a good autoshop and have them check ity out... our general charge system tests and check for draw is onlt $12/50 and can be done while you wait, not sure what it would run in your area. Good luck!

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think I remember reading that DieHards used to be made by Exide. Exide backed out of the deal a few years back and someone else has been making them ever since. As far as I herd the ones from the new manufacture suck. If you like the old DieHards buy an Exide. They also have a new Optama type Bat. That is what I have in my s-10. I have NEVER had any problems with it (started right up after leaving the headlights on for 4hrs, and another time running 2 sets of hella's and reg. hi-beams for 1 1/2hr).