Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dies a dana 44 have a hub gasket?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, Jun 29, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

napa cant find one, and there wasnt one when i rebuil it. only asking because the 14 bolt did have one.

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Yes it does.If your talking about the diff. cover gasket.I just got one from Napa for my Dana 44.
    Napa part #P-27940

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

well, i figured out it doesnt have one. its the seal around the hub locks that seals it i guess. the one i was talking baout from the 14 bolt is the thin flat gasket that goes on before the flange.

thanks though

tom

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

your lockouts (hubs) should have an O-ring. a little RTV isnt a bad idea either in addition to the O-ring IMO.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    a little RTV isnt a bad idea either in addition to the O-ring IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

the PO of my truck put RTV instead of an o-ring, it ended up corroding the edge of the lockout and was a PITA to get out. the corrosion ate alot of the metal away around where the oring went. i will never use RTV on a lockout.

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i dont see how silicone can make metal corrode (sp?)

if it does, they why is it used everywhere on our trucks? my valve covers havent rotted away, my diff covers are fine, my 14 bolt axle shafts are still a clean rust free machined finish, ......

i am sorry to hear that your hubs are sub-par, but i have religiously RTV'ed the living h@ll out my rig for the past 4 years and have had zero problems.

maybe it will give you the opportunity to upgrade and replace the corroded warns with OEM spicer lockouts

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i dont know how it corroded either, but it did. there was corosion under and around the RTV, it actually ate quite abit of metal away on the driver side, the pass side was still corroded but didn't eat the metal half as bad. one thing though, who knows when it was put on like this, i had the truck for almost a year and last week was the first time I took them off. im gonna guess the last time they were off was 5 years. maybe it was the time it was there, or maybe it was something else that correded them. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

i shouldn't have sold my warn premuims /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Some silicone RTV will eat iron and steel--a few customers at the body supply store I worked at balked at the price of urethane sealer when they wanted to seal some leaks on their chevy truck's windsheild--so they bought a tube of permatex blue goo gasket maker and applied it liberally to the cowl and upper roof area of the windsheild--you should have seen the size of the holes in it a year or so later--you could put your hands through them!.I dont know the exact reason RTV will do this and regular silicone sealer like you'd use on windows and housework doesnt,maybe the acetic acid(vinegar)in the RTV has something to do with it.I think it doesnt hurt valve covers and other similar things is because its always drowned in oil. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif