Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dies In Gear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KWhyBlazer, Apr 12, 2005.

1. KWhyBlazer

KWhyBlazer Newbie

i need help. got an 87 k5, with a rebuilt jasper 350 tbi with 20k miles. dies when in gear at idle, and when slowing at stops. heres what i have changed. cap, rotor, plugs, wires, map sensor, o2 sensor, swapped ecm's, ignition module.

seems to be losing timing. if you disconnect the plug for the timing going to the ecm, it seems to run fine.

i would appreciate any help. thanks.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

checked initial timing?

3. KWhyBlazer

KWhyBlazer Newbie

yes, timing was set to spec

4. 90v1500

90v1500 Registered Member

check the knock sensor and iac...

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Another thing to try:

Fill your gas tank up! My 89 Chevy will stall when coming to a stop / taking corners / accelerating too fast if it gets below a 1/4 of a tank of gas. This is becuase the gas sloshes around in the tank, and the pump sucks up air instead of fuel, which stalls the truck right out.

6. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Make sure you disconnect the advance to the distributor befeore you set the base timing. Have you checked the fuel filter, pump, hoses?

7. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

I don't have an answer for you yet but it sounds like we have similar problems.

My 89 has a new reccon motor with about 12 K on it and a new 700r4 with the same mileage.
    I run fine when the engines cold, but once the engine warms up, it has what feels like a miss or a bad plug, or even a fuel issue. Only happens every few days and only for a few minutes at a time. Runs great then suddenly the idle starts bouncing between 5-800rpm, or almost feels like its about to stall suddenly when on the highway and you let off the gas for a second or slow down to fast.

All the sensors except the idle control are less than a year old. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel pump and filter, all less than 1year old. All important vac lines were replaced in the last year as well.
    Have not checked timming or pulled the plugs yet, but both were perfect 6months ago. Will check this weekend

The little blinker gave me code 12, 14, and 41. Coolant temp sensor, and Cam sensor I think. Even those are not constant. some days all 12's other days a problem code. I have been ignoring it for about a week but its getting worse.

Do you see the same problems? Anyone else have thoughts to help either of us?

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, code 14 is listed here: gnttype Need to see what it "thinks" engine temp is when it's giving you a code. Either the CTS is bad, or you have a bad wire/connection in that circuit thats intermittent and thats why the code isn't constant.

Code 41 won't be the same for you as on that web site, the 3.8's actually used a cam sensor. Similar conditions likely, but not the same.