Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dies right away

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mico85K5, Apr 19, 2000.

1. mico85K5

mico85K5 Registered Member

Just had the carb rebuilt (85 305 155,000mls) know the engine is "tired." When the carb was rebuilt the shop said something about a choke vaccumm going-so they replaced it. Now, right after I start it up it will die. Very difficult just to get it goin! I just had the plugs replaced 1000mls ago, and that guy said the third cylinder on each side was foul (plugs). Could I have bad plug wires? The truck still diesels after the carb rebuild as well? What should I look at doing-timing?

very confused. . .

Driving your blazer=FUN!

2. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

how long does it run for? if its more than 10 seconds i think it would be a fuel flow into the carb problem. try starting it and watch the choke if after you start it its still completely closed adjust the pull off untill its cracked open(do all this when the engine is cold)

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Did you try giving it some gas as soon as it turns, before it starts to bog out? This same sh!t happened to me when I got my Quad rebuilt. When I start it in the morning, if I don't give it gas again right away, it cuts out. I have to go under the hood everytime and tweak with the choke a little bit to crank it up again. Now, I just give it gas as soon as it turns over and rev it up for a few seconds and then let it warm up for a minute or two. Works everytime now. Just had to figure out the secret. Good luck
    Boss

4. mico85K5

mico85K5 Registered Member

Update-Driving around this morning the truck was idling high-but driving ok. Went out this afternoon and NIGHTMARE!
    I was about 10 miles from home-8 from the shop that rebuilt the carb, and the engine was barely firing! I managed to get the truck to the shop before totally burning up the clutch and they said something had stuck open and fuel was spilling out over the top.

They said this has been happening lately (they thought a grain of sand had kept something in the carb from closing-first giving me too much, and eventually flooding everything!)

Has anyone else ever had something similar to this happen after recently rebuilding a carb?

Truck runs fine now-hopefully(:

Driving your blazer=FUN!

5. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Maybe try another shop.Just like doctors get more then one opinion.