Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DIES WHEN HOT.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIG AL, Mar 7, 2000.

1. BIG AL

BIG AL Registered Member

THIS IS GETTING FRUSTRATING! MY 82 W/305 RUNS WELL WHEN COOL, BUT AFTER IT WARMS UP GOOD IT STALLS AT IDLE, IT SOMETIMES BACKFIRES, AND ALWAYS SMELLS LIKE GAS. SO FAR I HAVE HAD THE CARB REBUILT INCLUDING NEW FLOAT, I REPLACED THE EGR VALVE 2 MILES OF VAC. LINES, PLUGS, WIRES, ROTOR, & CAP. AND IT IS NOT OVER HEATING. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Sounds like your choke is staying on causing it to flood a little !! Did you replace the choke too? Do your adjustments at running temp and see if it will make a difference. GRIM is the Carb Guru !!

<font color=red>BigBurb<font color=red>[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Boggin' Blazer

Boggin' Blazer 1/2 ton status

Does it start right back up?
    If not i would check spark, you may have a bad coil,they tend to break down when hot and work perfect when cool.
    David [​IMG]

Drive It Like You Stole It !!!![​IMG]

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: I know NOTHING!!!!.

Sounds beter with a Sgt Shultz voice
    BIg B is Right. classic symptoms of a Bad Electric choke. take the top of the air cleaner off and watch and see if it drops. Sup[ose to drop in about 3 mins if it doesn't it will flood out and die. If it doesn't open check the wire going to it for 12v engine running. If 12v is there then pull the wire off that check for resistance with an Ohm Meter...should be around 50 ohms. $27 at Auto zoned (out).
    Another thing that could be bad is the modual in the distributor.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper