Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel ? 6.2 or 6.5 turbo

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Scott39, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Scott39

Scott39 1/2 ton status

Now I have changed my mind on my putting a 6.2 in my landcruiser.
    My plan is to buy a truck or blazer with the 6.2 or 6.5 turbo for my trail rig, it will have dana 60,70 which I already have, 40" mtrs.
    I`am looking at a couple of rigs right now, 83 6.2 blazer, and a 1994 6.5 turbo with the manual 5 speed(probably NV4500) 187k miles on it.
    What does people thank would make a better trail rig, I will be driving this rig to the trails all over the Colorado rockys and moab.
    I was thinking the 94 truck, owner says the motor was rebuilt, I can get this truck for $4,600
    Or a 96 xcab 2500, I would shorten the wheel base, and bob the bed to fit.
    Opinion`s please, Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 83.bmp
      File size:
      197.8 KB
      Views:
    • 94.bmp
      File size:
      196.9 KB
      Views:
    • 96.bmp
      File size:
      197.8 KB
      Views:
  2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Definitly a lot more work to install the D60 in the front of one of the IFS trucks than the old K5. For a trail rig, a NA 6.2L diesel will have plenty of power for crawling and be good on hill climbs. The turbo doesn't start to help until you get it spooled up (higher RPM's than idle). Running thru the mud or on sand would probably be the best place a turbo would help.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You said driving to the trails and the trails?
    If so, you would benefit from the Turbo.
    If you feel comfortable with your fabrication skills or willing to pay for the SAS kit then I would go with the 94.
    The 96 depending on the price would be a good truck too but bobing the bed, shortening the wheelbase AND an SAS in the front that is too much work you can have the 94 half way there and maybe even cheaper and they should have the same engine.
    I would go with the Blazer if it's really cheap since it's ready to go if you are not planning on driving it a lot on road (no turbo = sluggish)
    IceMan

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Gotta say that for CO the 6.5 TD would be a lot better. You won't notice the altitude like you would with the NA 6.2. I'd go for the '94, no need to shorten anything, it has the NV4500 (:bow: ) and 6.5 TD.

Rene

5. Scott39

Scott39 1/2 ton status

I`ve did a SAS on a toyota before, so thats no problem. I think I will probably do the truck with the NV4500, 6.5 turbo.
    Thanks for the input.