Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel 700R4 behind a gas motor.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert79K5, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

The 6.2 in my DD is getting old and tired and for various reasons I am going to put a 355 in its place. I will be mostly driving this truck to work on the highway at speed. My question is how do you think it will fare if I leave the diesel governor in the transmission? Will the diesel torque converter bolt up to the gas flywheel? Im thinking so what if the diesel tuned tranny holds my gas engine in a lower rpm range. It may even net me a little better gas mileage so hey. But is there any reason why it would be a real pain to drive?
    thanks in advance.

2. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I think you need to change the tourqe convertor /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It'll be fine, I'd run it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Everything should bolt up the same--a diesel has a lower stall speed converter than a gas motor,and the govenor as you know is calibrated a little different,not a big deal to change if its not to your liking--dont know if they used a lock up converter on those 700R4's or not--that could be a fly in the ointment if it does,depending on whether its vacuum or electronically controlled.
    Why are you ditching the diesel??--you'll never get the mileage a diesel gets with a gas motor.If your upset with the price of diesel fuel,I hear ya--its 2.27 a gallon here now,up from 1.80 a month ago- /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif-but I still think my diesel is cheaper to run--it gets better mileage than my 79 C10 with a 305,and it goes about the same as far as power.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All 700R4s use lockup torque converters. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Im completelt happy with my diesel but its got a lot of miles and I basically have a rebuilt small block just laying around that I think would serve me well in a daily driver. I am thinking about freshening up the diesel when I take it out and maby one day putting it into my k5.

Which by the way.. I know I will have to get a different flywheel if I put my 6.2 in front of my sm465 but the bellhousing is the same for the gass and diesels isnt it?

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I have diesel 700 behind my 700, you will need to get a new TC, the stall speed is too low on the diesel one, and you will need to swap out the shift governor on the left rear of the tranny.
    Those are the only things that need to be changed in order to get it to work.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yup--the 6.2 and 6.5 are the same bellhousing and motor mount locations as a gas motor.I've seen websites that have pictures of the diesels in everything from a 59 Chevy Biscane to a 78 Corvette!.Basically its a drop in replacement,a rule of thumb seems to be if a big block gas motor will fit in,so will the diesel.
    The only thing I dislike about my diesel is the fact I dont have much experience working on them--I'm hoping my water pump and timing chain,or oil pump never go south--none of them are very easy to fix by the looks of it,and according to the repair manuals its a PITA--and I only have 7 new glow plugs,because I cant get one of them out,and I'd rather not break it off and have to try and remove the injector,I doubt if the injector lines will survive,and they are costly and hard to get,and to install.That and the ridiculous price for diesel fuel now!--I wonder how long the big rig drivers will stand for this before they go on strike and cripple our economy--I cant see how any of them are making a living!. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I ran my worn out 6.2L version TH700 behind my 383 for a reasable time period with no problems. The TC clutch eventually came apart so we put in a gas motor trans.
    Try it and see. You may have problems with increasing the power level to the trans and have to do some work to it anyway.