Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel 82 K5 problems???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Berlinetta00, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Berlinetta00

Berlinetta00 Newbie

I just picked up a 82 diesel 6.2L K5 and where the starter bolts to the block, the block has cracked. It is only on the outer bolt hole where it cracked, and the starter will not function properly with only one bolt holding it on. Is this a common problem? Is there an easy fix, or will I have to weld the starter to the block (or starter bolt)?

Thanks in advance,

Semper Fi,

-Berlinetta00-

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't know if its easy or not but it is Possible to have the block weld repaired. have someone who knows how to weld cast do it though. I wouldn't weld the starter to the block, although it would make a nice conversation piece /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. Berlinetta00

Berlinetta00 Newbie

Yeah, Ill be doing the welding, but I don't have the piece that broke off. It is a real small piece, but enough to the point that the bolt wont stay in. What I was thinking was welding a threadall in there and using a nut to secure the starter, but Im not sure it would work because getting the thing in there involves angleing it up to the block. Possably I could remove the belhousing to do it? The only reason this wouldn't work is if the new starter I have goes out quickly for no reason at all, and I have to get it out of there.

Semper Fi

-Berlinetta00-

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My 6.2 has been repaired in that area, but it looks like they had the piece that broke and did a fair decent job of welding it. The other end of the starter should have a support bolted to it and up to the block...which should prevent the block breakage.

Do you have the standard starter or the gear drive starter?

Rene

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just picked up a 82 diesel 6.2L K5 and where the starter bolts to the block, the block has cracked. It is only on the outer bolt hole where it cracked, and the starter will not function properly with only one bolt holding it on. Is this a common problem? Is there an easy fix, or will I have to weld the starter to the block (or starter bolt)?

Thanks in advance,

Semper Fi,

-Berlinetta00-

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought an engine recently from Pick n pull and didn't notice that same problem untill I got home, and I was wondering about that too.
    The piece is missing so I was thinking either welding some plates on that corner then filling in the hole then drilling out and threading it or grinding a slot deap in the spot and welding a nut in and then plating it on the sides.
    If I end up doing something that works I will psot up here and let you know.
    I will also need to make a brace on the back of the starter to help it out.