Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel Additives

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by CUCV2, Apr 25, 2007.

1. CUCV2

CUCV2 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've had the CUCV for about 3-4 mos now and it is finally to the point where I would like to drive it. I know that diesel fuel has changed in its composition recently. I have heard that the lubricity of the new diesel fuel has changed as well and wonder if I need to put a diesel additive in the fuel now to compensate for the changes. Thanks for the help in advance.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Many of the 24v CTD guys with the VP44 IP do it. The VP44 is a fuel lubricated pump and new fuel may not be up to lubing the pump so we add stuff. The IP on Chevies is fuel lubed also so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for you to either.

I personally run Amsoil Diesel Additive or Stanadyne Performance Formula to clean the system and SuperTech (Walmart brand) 2 stroke oil to lube the system. Contrary to what many fuel additives say they don't add much lube. 2 stroke oil is a lube that is ment to burn and the Walmart brand contains more lube % then most other 2 stroke oils. If you use a 2 stroke make sure it is ashless TCW3.

I personally run about .5-1oz 2 stroke per gallon and about 1oz fuel additive per 4-5gal. 2 stroke oil is alot cheaper then my $2000 Injection pump.

Harley

3. CUCV2

Thanks for the in depth answer. Sounds like diesel owners have to be part mad chemist these days to keep their rigs running right. I've got another Q to throw at you. Does biodiesel offer any lubricating qualities to the mix? I am just hoping for an all in one solution. Where is a good place to get Amsoil? I see you're a dealer and thought that you would be a good one to ask.

4. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Here's an all - in - one solution for your consideration

The question about biodiesel & lubricity is a bit complicated. Biodiesel contains various levels of contaminants called glycerides.. these glycerides are what gells in colder temps, clogging the filter.

I have some documentation from the US dept. of agriculture, that examined the claims of biodiesel's lubricating effects, and they concluded that these glycerides are the lubricating agents within the biodiesel.. so, the more contaminants you have, the better the lubrication, right?

Now, the discussion gets a bit more complicated... up until 2005, there has never been an accepted, standard way to even measure lubricity.. two ASTM methods, HFRR & SBOCLE have been around for years, but the petroleum industry has considered them to be "inaccurate and inconclusive" for measuring lubricity, because they aren't precise testing methods.

In 2005, the HFRR method was adopted, because they had to pick a standard and a test method, with the coming advent of ULSD. Now we have a question - the test methods haven't changed, ( and the fuel is worse ) so why is it acceptable now? good luck getting a straight answer on that.

You may be asking why the HFRR ( high frequency reciprocating rig )test would be inaccurate.. one reason is because it does not take combustion temps into account.. when you combust a petroleum distillate additive, ( lucas, amsoil, etc ) you make carbon and soot and diminish your cetane.. they are good for anti - gel, but that's it.

when you combust biodiesel, you end up with ring deposits and coked injectors. Two stroke is a bit different in that your injectors aren't designed to flow something that thick.. and you have extreme pressure additives in there that leave deposits.. using an ashless oil? great, there go the anti wear/ anti scuff qualities, and you still have carbon build up.

Now, I know I'm going to hear from guys who " have been doing it this way for years, and nothing ever blew up".. those minds, I won't change.. however, my experience is with large fleets who need their fuel to perform, and the usual parade of additives doesn't cut it..

So, if you really want an "all in one solution" check out my vendor thread, check out the various websites I link, and see if there's anything of value for you.. you want lubricity, we passed the caterpillar IK test, 252 hours WOT with no wear anywhere..

I can also offer benefits like no oil or fuel dilution, an increase in fuel mileage, a decrease an emissions, bacteria / fungus and yeast eradication, lower EGT's, lower pour pooint, and the list goes on.

Sorry for the commercial, but my stuff is real, and you won't know about it, unless I speak up.

Tom

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can get Amsoil additive @ there webstore. www.amsoil.com If you order from Amsoil's website you can enter my dealer number as the reference and it helps me out a little as a dealer.

Yes, biodiesel will add lube so you don't need the lube additive but it also reduces a little mileage & horsepower. I want to run biodiesel in mine but I do extended oil drain intervals & Amsoil doesn't support extended drains with the use of biofuel so I run regular diesel with the additive & lube I mentioned.

Bio is more prone to cold weather gelling then normal diesel so you have to run special additives for that in the winter or just don't use bio in the winter.

Harley

6. CUCV2

Thanks guys. Everything I wanted to know and then some.

7. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

***flameproof undies going on****
    Here's my take on the biodiesel thing. Its a great fuel IF you have a couple of things in your favor, high volume, hot fuel return to the tank, and old style injectors and pump. The 6.2 has old style injectors and pump but not the return.

In cold weather you need that return or it will gel with bio. Depending on who made the stuff it might gel at 25 degrees or -5 below. I've seen both.

With the old style pumps and injectors the internal tolorences aren't as tight as the newer stuff so they can get by with less lubricity in the fuel.

hope that helps
    George