Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel additives?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 82K5_6.5L, Jun 15, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

i was getting some diesel the other day and i saw they had a bottle of diesel additives, like fuel additives.. i didnt know that these things existed.. i looked at it and it said it was good for a 14 gallon tank.. well my tank is 31 gallons. do they do anything? should i spend the $2 on them ? just wondering the effects of them..
    thanx /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I run Stanadyne Fuel Conditioner in my 83 all the time, but my 83 6.2 was orginally designed to run on sulphur-rich fuel. Nowadays the all of the diesel avalable in my area is low sulphur, so to ensure that my pump gets the proper lubrication I have to run an additive.

I'm not sure if it would apply to your motor- what year is your 6.5? Maybe GM changed the way the injection pump got lubed by the time your motor was built.

The other advantge to running a quality additive is that it's designed to keep your diesel fresh and *should* break down any water in your tank. In my case the Stanadyne also lowers the point at which diesel starts to wax up(if you live in a warm climate you don't have to worry about this) so I don't have to worry about driving at extreme low winter temps. It should also contain an injector cleaner to keep your injectors clean.

3. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

well i live in tucson, az.. so its hot here all the time.. im not sure what year the motor is because, the owner i got it from put the 6.5 in because the 6.2 was shot.. he was a diesel mechanic and knew what he was doing, so.. it has only 40k on the motor when i bought it, so i have put on 7k, so its pretty damn new /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif...

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    well i live in tucson, az.. so its hot here all the time.. im not sure what year the motor is because, the owner i got it from put the 6.5 in because the 6.2 was shot.. he was a diesel mechanic and knew what he was doing, so.. it has only 40k on the motor when i bought it, so i have put on 7k, so its pretty damn new /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif...

[/ QUOTE ]

I would use the additive anyway, it doesn't hurt the egnine, it makes it run smoother.
    I use it more in the winter times but I put some every few fillups, just because I forget.
    I do feel the difference between when I run it with the additives and when I run it without.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I would use it to. My m1009 runs better now.