Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel and gas Tourqe Converters are they the same?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Blazer, Apr 23, 2002.

1. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

I need to know if I can use the tourqe converter that I just got with a th400 it came from a truck with a 6.2 diesel. I am putting it behing a 400 small block.

Thanks

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

No, they are not the same. Diesels have their torque and hp curves peaking way below gas engines. Diesels also don't rev as high over all. So, diesel converters stall around 700-800 (or so I'm told for 6.2/6.5) and most gas burners like a stall more around 1200+ depending on vehicle, weight, gears, and engine.

Me, I'm running the diesel converter. I don't care about playing "hot rod" and it lets me work through the rocks just a little above idle. I don't have to rev up to bring in the converter while generating heat in the engine and slipping the trans at higher rpms creating even more heat. I still have more power than most jeeps, toys, etc. and it works well for me. However, I would NOT want it on a daily driver, and probably not on a dual purpose rig.