Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLZN4FN, Jan 14, 2003.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

How good are Diesel's in Blazers for offroad?
    I know the best is fuel injection. But Diesel is injected
    I think. I found a 1983 K5 Diesel for sale very reasonable
    price. any pro's or con's or any other input would be nice
    Thanks,
    Bo

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Diesel is great for off road. All the torque is down low, it's mechanically injected so it will run at any angle. no computer to mess with, no ignition to mess with...

I'm a little biased though...I just swapped a 6.2 in place of my old carbed 350./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

3. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

KNowing that, maybe my 84 parts blazer with a diesel won't be a parts blazer anymore. all I gotta do is replace a couple burned wires & it'll be running.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You have a diesel blazer?
    Does the engine run?
    I am still looking for a running engine.
    Maybe that could pay for some of the mods you want on your truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I don't have it at the house yet. Supposed to be towed over tomorrow. A buddy got it awhile back. the seller said it had a low end knock & as soon as he heard it, he shut it off. My buddy got it started & drove it. He said there was an exhaust leak but no knock. But they ran it out of fuel test driving it & when they tried to get it going again, they cranked it too long & it burned a few wires.

When I get it to the house, I'm gonna take a look at it & determine if I wnat to build a wheeler out of it, or maybe a daily driver, or just sell it. I just don't know yet what I'll do with it.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

When you get it let me know I will come over and we can check the engine together.
    I have a couple of diesels and I know my way around them now.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a '90 with the 6.2 and think it's great for trail riding. On the road it's a little sluggish but does okay. The only time off-road when I wished it had more power was in really deep and sticky mud bogs.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have a blazer with a diesel, it's not a 6.2 and it is turbo but manual tranny, and on road I max at 70mph on the trail it's awesome, in mud and snow I wish I had auto or more rpm margin, it will only go up to 2500rpm.
    On rocks it rocks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I got the diesel blazer towed to the house last night. It was too late to look at it, but eventually I will try to get it started. If I can get it running, I will then decide what I'm gonna do with it.

It's all new to me. I've never tried to work on a diesel before so if you're ever gonna be in the neighborhood let me know.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I was planning on comming down to Ryan B's place to pick up the th400 parts on the 25th so I will drop by.

11. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I had an 83 with the 6.2 and I liked everything but the lack of power, but that may have been due to poor gearing. That thing was as reliable as the sun, never once failed to start, and got around 21 MPG, no matter what. With A/C, without, highway, city. Good motor if the gearing is correct! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. tRustyK5

Mine moves out nicely with 4.56's and 39.5's...not quite as snappy as my 350 but it isn't far off./forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rene

13. Boggeddown

Boggeddown Registered Member

The fuel injected model didn't come out until 1987, but the diesel blazer is top notch for offroad. I have a '84 Blazer with a 6.2L turbo 400 Diesel V8, i've experienced no problems, and I've had to pull out friends that were stuck in the same crud I just went through, even my dad in his '99 F-150!

Make sure you know all the specs like wether or not it has the NP205 (good) or the NP203 (bad) transfer case. The NP203 is a power hungrey life sucking beast, best bet is to stay away from it than to try to fix the problem. You need to find out wether or not it's a military issue, which will come with the 6.2L turbo 400, instead of a 350 (ok, but not the best) or the 305 (pitiful) for a vehicle as heavy as these, you need as much power as possible. When buying also consider wether or not this will be a daily driver or an off road only vehicle, if the latter then you don't need to worry about what kind of shape the interior is in, but if it's a daily driver, you need to consider how much money you're willing to put into restoration of the interior. I'm speaking from experience, so don't take this lightly. Also the reading on the odometer should be a key factor, while K5's are great trucks with great engines, the mileage probably won't exceed 250k before going out. Overall, Blazers of tha era are wonderful trucks with great platforms for buildups, and excellent reliability.

14. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Eh, Boggeddown, I think you're confusing the TH400 and TH350 trannies for the 400ci and 350ci gas engines. I'm not aware of any TH305 trannies, at least in the trucks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, point being that the 6.2L (and later 6.5L) diesel can come with a TH400 tranny (three-speed auto, built like a tank), a TH350 tranny (three-speed auto, decent) or even a TH700R4 tranny (world's most maligned four-speed automatic).

The 305ci is a weird little gas engine, put into the trucks for allegedly better fuel economy; I gather they're gutless in terms of torque.

And the NP203 isn't THAT bad. Usually. But the NP205 is THAT good /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just to keep the record straight.

15. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Anyway, point being that the 6.2L (and later 6.5L) diesel can come with a TH400 tranny (three-speed auto, built like a tank), a TH350 tranny (three-speed auto, decent) or even a TH700R4 tranny (world's most maligned four-speed automatic).

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the SM 465...

Rene

16. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

My 83 6.2 is great. It is slow around town, but if I wanted a racecar, I'd buy one. I have plenty of torque and with the 700, I can run 70 all day if I need to. Someday I'm going to turbo it, but for now it does fine. I haven't had it offroad yet, but it totes my family around just fine. It's a little on the stinky side cuz it's a diesel (had some fun with a girl in the drive through window at Taco Bell, she kept waving her hand in front of her face and acting like she was dying). Everyone is surprised that my truck actually has a diesel.
    One thing to keep in mind, it's not a Cummins or a Powerstroke, it's a naturally aspirated light duty diesel engine. It will run forever (300,000 Miles before rebuild) as long as you change the oil regularly and do regular maintenance. I'm pretty happy with mine.

Enjoy!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Uhhh, you kind of lost me.....

The 6.2L is equal to 379 cubic inches. I have no idea what you are talking about regarding the 400, 350, 305........there is th400 and th350 automatic transmission that was used in trucks and also a 400, 350, and 305 cubic inch gasoline V-8 engine........but really only one diesel (I don't count the crappy converted 350 Olds engine that was around for a year to two).

My '90 K5 has a 700r4 behind the 6.2 which makes cruising on the freeway pretty effortless.

18. dremu

Re: Diesel Blazer *DELETED*

Post deleted by dremu

19. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

The sticks weren't available stock in the k-5's...they only came with automatics...or am I just full of crizap.

20. dremu

And*I'm* the guy always telling people to look at the Brochures pages.

Yup, paperwork says that diesels were only offered with the 700R4, at least for 1982-1989. (I suspect that for 90-91, manual trannies weren't offered for the Burbs and Blazers at all.)

-- A