Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel brakes

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by lebowski, Feb 4, 2005.

1. lebowski

lebowski Registered Member

Hello all. Anyone have any tips or thoughts to share with properly swapping in a diesel's brake system into a gas engine rig? What attaches where and how? Any risk in harming any componets if something is done improperly or out of sequence? I've never swapped out or changed over master cylinders or anything of this nature. Just trying to get some info before I start unbolting everything. It's all going into an 86 blazer which will soon no longer have its 305. thanks

2. jkce457

jkce457 1/2 ton status

I don't think it makes a difference if they're gas or diesel. The only difference will be 1/2 ton vs 1 ton etc.. What is the truck that the brakes are coming off of?

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The systems are not the same but they will bolt up.
    The diesels usually have the hydroboost which is on all 1ton trucks wether gas or diesel.
    There is one thing you might need to do to put the hydroboost pump on the firewall, I think removing a couple of bolts.
    I can get you more details since my friend just did this a couple of weeks ago.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The '87 C10 I bought as a 6.2 donor has Hydroboost brakes.

5. lebowski

lebowski Registered Member

well I'm looking at an 84 c10. Quite a few miles on it (160,000) but if the guy gets the price down low enough I'll take it. One more thing.. because it's an 84 will it have a 2 piece rear main seal? 86 is when the gas engines changed to one piece correct? Does this apply to diesels as well?