Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel conversion on 81

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by meev182, May 30, 2006.

1. meev182

meev182 Newbie

Hey guys im new to the forum and i want to thank everyone in advance for helping me out. im a newbie to 4x4's and have mercy on me if i dont know alot. so what my question is, is can i do swap a 6.2 or 6.5 detroit diesel into my 81 blazer?

I know they put the 6.2's in the 82 and up blazers and i was thinking that the motor mount holes in the frame may not be there because its an 81. I heard that the 6.2's are relatively common and you can get them for cheap but i was wondering if you guys could give me some idea of what to look for.

previously it had blown th350 with a 205 transfer case and a stroked 350 in it. i took the 350 for another project, got rid of the th350, and still have the transfer case. So basically i need an entire drive line (engine/trans/transfercase/driveshafts if they are different lengths) for my blazer and it may not be worth it.

originally i was just going to part it out and junk it but part of me cant do it. im not that interested in performance and the suspension is already lifted enough for me. basically i just want a diesel so i can run veggie oil. sorry for the long and confusing post, just let me know you guys. thanks!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I swapped a 6.2 into my '81 Jimmy. Motor dropped right into the mounts no problem, the diesel rad and brackets were both plug and play.

It's not a hard swap, but it's more work than dropping another sbc into it. I highly recomend buying a complete running donor truck...it'll save you hundreds on the knick knack parts and you'll get to see where everything goes, how it's routed and what it bolts to.

You could do some reading in the diesel forum here, there are a few of us that have done this swap...

Rene

3. meev182

meev182 Newbie

i think ill just end up parting out my blazer and getting another one instead...i was just wondering if it could be done for 500 or 600 bucks but i think id be better off just buying a whole truck hah. thanks.