Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bandit1, Oct 5, 2004.

1. bandit1

bandit1 Registered Member

My '94 F/S blazer has a tired 350 and i wanted to swap it with a diesel anyone have any thoughts? im going for gas mileage and power. but it is my daily driver. anyone successfully do this. any suggestions would be appreciated. keep in mind im a broke college student. how much do you think it will cost? thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If I was going to swap in a diesel it wold be a cummins! A GM 6.5 would probably be the easiest but won't compare on power, fuel economy, and longevity that the cummins posesses.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Chances are the 6.5 will get better fuel economy. It will last just as long if properly maintained, not to mention the motor wont cost 2 grand, and then need a whole bunch of fabbing. The cummins isnt the only motor out there like you think.

Just swap in a 6.5, you can find them cheap if you look. I almost bought a 94 with 100K, with the computer and all wiring for $500. Im not sure if it would be easier to swap in a mechanical 6.2/6.5 into yours because of the computer issues, or if a computer controlled one would be simpler.

4. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

6.5L Turbo would be nice. I will probably do this in the future. I want a turbo diesel, but a Cummins would not be economical (straight up purchase of motor, tranny adapters, fabwork, etc)... 6.5L Turbo would be nice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Chances are the 6.5 will get better fuel economy. It will last just as long if properly maintained, not to mention the motor wont cost 2 grand, and then need a whole bunch of fabbing. The cummins isnt the only motor out there like you think.

Just swap in a 6.5, you can find them cheap if you look. I almost bought a 94 with 100K, with the computer and all wiring for $500. Im not sure if it would be easier to swap in a mechanical 6.2/6.5 into yours because of the computer issues, or if a computer controlled one would be simpler.

[/ QUOTE ]I have never seen a GM diesel go a half million miles before. I have a hard time believing a 396ci v8 indirect injected diesel could manage the same mileage as a 360ci inline 6 direct injected engine. I get an average of 20mpg it seems with my ISB in a very heavy truck. my grandpa gets 24mpg on the highway with his 2wd 99 dodge ctd.

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Quote = (my grandpa gets bla bla bla miles bla bla) i acidentally called him one day /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. bandit1

what kind of tranny will bolt right up to the 6.5T or 6.2. Is it a good idea to look in a junk yard or am i going to have to rebuild it if i take that route?
    thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Same bolt pattern as the SBC. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Makes interchangability easy.

9. bandit1

what else would i need for the conversion? things like glowplugs,etc /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

10. rjfguitar

I would run a manual NV4500 behind it or a 4L80E auto. I know there is a problem with the contact with the turbo and A/C blower housing with a 6.5.

11. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Ive got over 230K on my 6.2, drive on bias ply Q78 TSL's, and get between 22 and 24mpg, depending on how hard im driving it. On the scale i weighed in at over 6K pounds, im not exactly light either. Guy in the building next to where i used to work had a 2wd 84 c-10 with 300K on his 6.2 and he still got 25mpg when he sold it. That was his delivery truck, so it only got driven unloaded half the time. I have never seen a GM diesel go 500K either, because most people junk them when the IP goes.

In his truck it would just make a ton more sense to drop in a 6.5, it would bolt right in, and would probobally outlast the rest of the truck as long as its taken care of.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I get an average of 20mpg it seems with my ISB in a very heavy truck. my grandpa gets 24mpg on the highway with his 2wd 99 dodge ctd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Canmore averages 25+ mpg with his 6.2 powered 1/2 ton pick-up...20-22 is easy with a 6.2 depending on gearing. As for longevity 300,000 isn't out of the question for a maintained 6.2.

You apparently skipped over part of the original post where he says he is a poor and nearly broke college kid...not the best position to be in financially for a CTD swap in a DD.

Rene

13. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what else would i need for the conversion? things like glowplugs,etc /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

New tank. At the very least a diesel nozzle wont fit into your tank.
    There are about 40 different wiring schems out there for the TH700R4 tranny alone, and there are specific ones for diesels too. You also have to make sure to use a diesel torque converter too.
    If you care, you'll probably have alot of "legal" problems with your title and all that bull sh1t.....

Best I can say is "good luck" /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. rjfguitar

Thats pretty impressive.

15. rjfguitar

A half ton truck doesnt weigh a whole lot.

If he is that broke then any diesel swap is probably out of the question and pumping in an extra couple gallons of gas at the pump would be cheaper. For power he would have a hard time getting better acceleration out of a GM diesel than his 350 without spending some $$ on a turbo'd 6.5 or turboing a 6.2 motor. I doubt he tows a lot or he would have said so, mileage sounds like his main goal. I mentioned a cummins because I am sold on them and they are proven long lasting motors and if I was going to go to the effort to swapping in something different I wouldn't be all that harder to make a cummins work. but thats what I would do, it's up to him and what his pocket book has to say.

16. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A half ton truck doesnt weigh a whole lot.

If he is that broke then any diesel swap is probably out of the question and pumping in an extra couple gallons of gas at the pump would be cheaper. For power he would have a hard time getting better acceleration out of a GM diesel than his 350 without spending some $$ on a turbo'd 6.5 or turboing a 6.2 motor. I doubt he tows a lot or he would have said so, mileage sounds like his main goal. I mentioned a cummins because I am sold on them and they are proven long lasting motors and if I was going to go to the effort to swapping in something different I wouldn't be all that harder to make a cummins work. but thats what I would do, it's up to him and what his pocket book has to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the I configuration in reguards to engines, twice as many mains on the crank shaft. I've never heard of a short-lived straight engine...

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    If he is that broke then any diesel swap is probably out of the question and pumping in an extra couple gallons of gas at the pump would be cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, in fact it'll take me another year or so before the 6.2 has paid for itself in fuel savings. My point was the 6.2 is a much more affordable swap and also a lot easier to complete in a short time. As for power I find my 6.2 is very comparable to the mildy cammed 355 I pulled out. It just pulls differently.

Rene

18. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

My friend just put a cummings in his 84 chevy 1ton crewcab.$7,000 installed. Now I just need him to drop the price of his 468 bbc so I can put it in my truck.

19. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If he is that broke then any diesel swap is probably out of the question and pumping in an extra couple gallons of gas at the pump would be cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, in fact it'll take me another year or so before the 6.2 has paid for itself in fuel savings. My point was the 6.2 is a much more affordable swap and also a lot easier to complete in a short time. As for power I find my 6.2 is very comparable to the mildy cammed 355 I pulled out. It just pulls differently.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]That would be the reason why most gov. and fleet vehicles have base model gas engines because the companies calculate that they won't keep the trucks long enough for the fuel savings to equal or surpass the extra cost of the diesel option.

20. bandit1

one of the reasons for the coversion is to save at the pump every 3 days i gotta put $60 in the bottomless pit of a gas tank. im not too worried about the legal crap either. ive been in much worse trouble than i could with that. and i kinda figured that id have to replace the torque converter but needed reassurance. but thanks for the help guys. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif