Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel Conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JoeAngelicchio, Jul 9, 2000.

1. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Has anyone done a complete gas to diesel conversion? What's involved? How much $$$$? Was it worth it and what's the difference in mileage? Even with the price of gas, I still would like to drive my truck more often.
    Thanks.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

2. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I believe diesel conversion is verry difficult. You could swap a 6.2l diesel engine. You could convert it to propane. I think that propane conversion is a lot easier then diesel.
    I may be wrong.

<font color=red>Chevy4x4<font color=red>[​IMG]
    http://fourbyfour.coloradok5.com

3. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I have a diesel(6.2) in an 83 Jimmy, the motor is pissing so much oil I'm probably going to put a gas motor in since I can't find a good 6.2 for a reasonable price around me. This is what I found out...First you MUST change your brake booster over to a hydroboost set up..diesels don't make enough vacuum for the booster gas motor set up. Your torque converter must be changed, I have a 700r4. The stall speeds are different. The TV cable for the 700 must also be changed to a diesel one...got mine from chevrolet for 20 bucks. Put in a dual battery set up, with as much cold cranking amps you can find. I'm in New York, when its below 20 even plugged in with the heater she starts rough. Find a Big radiator, mines bigger than a 1 ton 454. You may even have to buy a diesel only radiator. the thing is huge and about 550 bucks. Also on my fire wall is a fuel filter (there are actually 2, one is under the intake in the back) you have to add this to keep the fuel clean. OOOHHH YAAAA!!! BLOW OUT YOUR GAS TANK OR REPLACE IT because if you don't WHEN YOU GO TO START THE DIESEL MOTOR ....KABOOM. your 6.2 has 21.5 to 1 compression. As for gas mileage I average over 20mpg. I do a lot of hard 5 boroughs driving too. As for power you'll have 135 HP and 240 FT of Torque really low in the rpm range. You will not win any races with a 6.2, in fact sometimes merging in city traffic is dangerous. One cool thing about the diesel is you can and I do run home heating fuel in these motors (so I'm paying 90 cents a gallon now) Another thing important is to always use conditioner.....and definately join the diesel home page they have ALL the information you'll need!!! good luck. If I remember anything else I'll post it