Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel conversions........Whats out there?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Corey 78K5, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I got a really clean 76 C-20 with a tired small block and a th-350 auto. I have been thinking that it would be nice to have a diesel in it but I wan't to keep an automatic in it even if it means upgrading to a diffrent tranny.
    I know the easy swap would be a 6.2 but I would like to hear what other kinds of diesels could be used for a conversion.
    I'm open to all suggestions.
    BTW nothing aginst 6.2's it's an option as well.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

6.2, 6.5, 6.5 turbo, Cummins 12b's, basically whatever you are willing to do, and whatever your price range is. Cummins would be nice, but I'd rather buy that other dude's crew cab long bed with the 12v cummins and 5 speed. That thing is SWEET and he only wants 7800 for it.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah a Cummins 12b would be nice but they cost a fortune. Not to mention from what I hear they are hard on auto's. Like I said it's more for fuel economy. I also would like to do a swap that wouldn't require messing with the suspention or hacking up the firewall and such. Just a clean swap.

4. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I also would like to do a swap that wouldn't require messing with the suspention or hacking up the firewall and such.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want a Cummins then, trust me........ /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

A 6.2 or a 6.5 would be an "easy" bolt in.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Ok, well, if you want fuel economy, your best choice will be the 6.2. Easy swap, easy fit, easy bolt in. Great economy if you make sure your cruising RPM is 1900-2000.

6. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

A nice little Cummins 4bt will fit nice. They weigh about 700lbs, and autos will hold up to them. And the milage would kick ass. Some 4bt's came with th400's behind them stock. And you should be able to tow with it also. I've got a c-10 shortbox I'm thinking of droping one in for a dd. Plus my 4x4 project has one in it too. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have seen a Cat 3208 V8 diesel in a '76 K20 before, guy had it balanced and would spin 5K rpm's and had twins. He ran a clark 6 spd behind it.

Swapping in a Cat 3208 or 3116 would be really cool! Not many folks have done that swap but the pros are awesome.

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Some 4bt's came with th400's behind them stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

What'd they come in, P-series vans or something?

-- A

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Here is an Isuzu 6BB1 inline 6 out of a 24' Isuzu box truck in a 74 K20 that I used to own. Had homemade motor mounts and a homemade bellhousing bolted to the stock SM465. No firewall cutting, electric pusher fans in front of radiator, stock inner fenders, etc... and the hood shut w/o a scoop.
    [​IMG]

10. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

yes, p-30 vans

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A nice little Cummins 4bt will fit nice. They weigh about 700lbs, and autos will hold up to them. And the milage would kick ass. Some 4bt's came with th400's behind them stock. And you should be able to tow with it also. I've got a c-10 shortbox I'm thinking of droping one in for a dd. Plus my 4x4 project has one in it too.

[/ QUOTE ]
    So how would a Hydromatic auto bolt up to the Cummins 4bt? Is there an adapter plate that needs to be used? Is the flex plate anything fancy, or is it just a normal chevy flex plate? Would the motor mounts from a P-30 with a 4bt work on a C-20 frame?

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Any ideal if one would work with an automatic?

13. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The plate on the engine that the bellhousing bolts to is removable. The one from the P30 is set up for a Chevy bellhousing. The flywheel is specific to a Cummins with the TH400. I don't know if the mounts would work for sure, but if not, they are probably close enough to modify.

Here is a link to some pics of what you would be looking for. Somebody paid waaaaay up for this batch-o-parts.

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah I just found a 4bt/th400 adapter and flex plate on ebay, so that answers one question.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I saw a nice crew cab dually with the same Isuzu "box truck" type diesel engine,they used the Isuzu standard tranny too,a trailer place owned it,they pulled mobile homes from indiana to MA with it.It got 15-25 mpg and had lots of power--the guy said it beat the original 454 by a mile for towing,said he would never have to downshift in places the 454 would bog down on hills.
    Too bad your not in my area--I know of 2 trucks with 6.2's in them at the boneyards,you could probably get the whole truck for 500 bucks(one is a 4x4)and you would have everything you need to swap including the radiator,etc--I almost bought one of them to put in my 79 C10,but I got a 305 from a friend instead.I like the 6.2 in my 82 K20,its powerful enough for me,and the fuel mileage is excellent for a 22 year old 4x4 truck--15-22 mpg around town!(better than the C10 with a 305!). /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I saw a nice crew cab dually with the same Isuzu "box truck" type diesel engine,they used the Isuzu standard tranny too,a trailer place owned it,they pulled mobile homes from indiana to MA with it.It got 15-25 mpg and had lots of power--the guy said it beat the original 454 by a mile for towing,said he would never have to downshift in places the 454 would bog down on hills.
    Too bad your not in my area--I know of 2 trucks with 6.2's in them at the boneyards,you could probably get the whole truck for 500 bucks(one is a 4x4)and you would have everything you need to swap including the radiator,etc--I almost bought one of them to put in my 79 C10,but I got a 305 from a friend instead.I like the 6.2 in my 82 K20,its powerful enough for me,and the fuel mileage is excellent for a 22 year old 4x4 truck--15-22 mpg around town!(better than the C10 with a 305!). :crazy: