Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel convertion.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigd, Jul 8, 2000.

1. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I might have access to a powerstoke motor and manual five speed tranny.I know they came in fords but its a international motor.Wondering if anybody knowa whats manuals where put behind them.Nv4500?I'm looking for a torque motor and i like them.Anybody else ever done a gas too diesel convertion before.Its just a idea i've been kicking around.

2. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

If you want a diesel for your Blazer get a 6.5 with a DB2 pump and a Banks turbo. Everything will bolt in and the
    parts are cheap compared to Ford and Dodge. Same engine as used in HumVee, so many military surplus parts available.
    See http://www.thedieselpage.com/ also for used engines:
    Jamie Avant
    Avant Salvage Co.
    Sandersville, GA
    800-553-8192

SteveB

3. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

I am doing a convetion on my 75 k5. I first though of installing a Cat diesel (400 cid) that I have, but the install became be so difficult that I was forced to scrap the idea. I decided to pull the 6.5/6.2 that I built out of my pick up and go with that. It sat right in with out a hitch. Total install was 20min.( body off frame) I spent 12 hours trying to line up the Cat with a friend! If you are thinking power, well I used a 6.5 block with the piston oilers(84& later), 83 big valve heads, ported exhaust manifolds, turbo, intercooler, propane injection, and 4" exhaust. She makes 563ftlbs @ 1900rpm on the dyno. That is real word power to the rear wheels! Plus the dyno is in Denver at 5200ft. The truck weighed 6300lbs and I could make Powerstrokes look like they where standing still. I can`t wait to see it run in my 4600lbs K5!

4. Dave

Dave Registered Member

Don't even waste your money with a GM 6.5 turbo diesel. It has to be GM's worst engine to date. I work in a GM dealer and have seen 78 6.5's replaced in 13 months. Should tell you something about that engine. They crack between the cylinders.

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5
    "The Anti-SUV"

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Not sure, but I would guess that in a Ford, they used a ZF manual tranny. That's what my brother's F350 4X4 has in it. GM is also using a ZF (6 speed?) behind the Duramax, if I recall. His is an OK tranny, but noisy, and 3rd gear synchro never works worth a #@$%.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

6. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Dave, you are correct. My '83 head cracked just like
    you said....at 303,000 mi. Guess I'll never buy another one of those again! BTW, this is the same engine used in the MIL Humvee.

SteveB

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Steve, I believe you have the 6.2 in your 83, just like me. Dave is talking about the 6.5, but I disagree with him as well. The reason ALL the manufacturers have problems with their diesels is because people drive them like gassers. They don't maintain them properly and diesels owners need to really follow the recommended maintenance schedules. The 6.5 isn't built as tough as a Powerstroke or a Cummins, either, but they also don't cost as much to buy or repair.

And leave 6.2s alone, guys. They're one of the toughest motors ever built.......