Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel crew.. Help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82K5_6.5L, Dec 13, 2005.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

hey guys, seeing if u can lend a hand. lately my k5 will be cruising down the road and just shut off! big p.i.a. i replaced both fuel filters, its got a half tank of diesel.. shes ran fine for almost 3 years now.. but it seems like when its cold, or even sometimes when its all warmed up, if ur not on the throttle just a hair, she will die.. any ideas? btw motor is a 6.5L, non turbo.. :confused:
    thx

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

what year??

Don't know that much about the diesels fuel system on the newer ones..

I've read about lots of problems with a computer controlling the injection pump screwing up a lot,mostly due to it overheating..I guess they sell relocation kits to mount it where it won't get so hot..your truck may or may not even have one..I think its called a "PMD" ...??

Could be water in your fuel..drained the fuel filter and tank lately?..most diesels have a factory "siphon" valve hooked on the tank,its spout is near the frontmost spring hanger for the rear spring..you can put a small hose on it and open the valve to siphon out any water..might be time to add some fuel conditioner or anti-gel..

Another thing I thought of is the fuel shutoff solenoid in the injection pump..it needs 12V to hold it open and let fuel into the pump..its what makes the engine stop when you shut the key off..(a diesel uses no spark to run,so if the fuel wasn't shut off,it wont stop!)..maybe yours is losing power or crapping out or something??...

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will speak up..good luck,hope its nothing expensive..:crazy:

3. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

that definitly sounds like something i could check into.. forgot to mention its an 82.. is there any way to check the solenoid in the injection pump like u are saying??

any other suggestions guys/gals??

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Thats really odd. I would be checking the power going to the solenoid first thing. The only way I know of testing a fuel soleniod is to listen to it when some one turns on the key (screwdriver held against your ear helps here).

5. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

ok my next question.. where is said "injection pump solenoid?" or injection pump to begin with.. i have never messed with it in 3 years..?? :confused: sounds dumb.. but i think i have tinkered with everything on this thing, but the injection system..

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

in the middle!..

I don't think your 6.5 would have that "PMD" thingy unless it was from a later truck and swapped in..assuming yours is set up like a 6.2 like mine,the injector pump is in the front center of the motor ,right behind the water pump...its partially covered by the intake and thermostat housing..I think the fuel shutoff solenoid is mounted right on the pump..mine has a pink wire on it..

It could be that wire is shorted or grounding out, or has a loose or corroded connector ,or is gangrene inside somewhere,and is killing power to the solenoid intermittently..I'd investigate that possibility, before messing with anything else first..:crazy:

7. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

the 6.5 is known for 2 common problems w/ the injection.

1 the injection pump driver fails (its a module mounted on the driver side of the injection pump.

2 the optical eye in the pump fails which requires injection pump replacement.

ill see if i could print out the diagnostic charts for you tommorow. if i could ill email them to you. but just so you know the diag procedure is tricky and requires a lot of multimeter testing

8. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

yea hit me an email... juicesk5@gmail.com thx

diesel4me- thanks for the info, i think tomorrow i will give it a look see.. and yes, it came w/ a 6.2, and was later swapped in for the 6.5

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

This would all be great info if he had a 94 or newer 6.5 TD with the computer crap. His 6.5 sounds like it was swapped in and would most likely be purely mechanical like the original 6.2 was. Diagnostic for a 6.2 involves a 3 lb hammer, some bubble gum and baling wire... :D

Rene

10. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

I didnt think that they put 6.5's in the earlyer models. I thought that was a strictly turbo engine. I have a 95 chevy 6.5 turbo 3500 had the same problems. It was the PMD which is located on the side of the injector pump. I just relocated mine on top of the intake. Its no wonder these things go bad because between the heat it makes itself (start it up let it run for about 5 min than touch it is gets freaking hot.) and its location on the engine. Mine used to quit while driving it would start back up everytime. Than it finnaly quit for good in January. Luckly I had already bought the replacement one and put it on my truck that day.

11. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

"Both fuel filters"? Did you put 2 in when you did the swap? My '97 only has one filter, unless I'm missing something, but I don't think I am, I actually read the owners manual!.
    Check your fuel pump, not sure what kind you used, but the one in my '97 went out twice in it's 180k life so far, the truck still runs without it, the injection pump flows enough fuel to keep it running, but the it will cut out every now and again, escpecially during acceleration.

12. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

yea my 6.5 has 2 fuel filters.. 1 is straight on the firewall next to the heater/ac radiator deal (its a big sucker too) and the other is under the air cleaner, attached to some part of the block. the smaller one, has 2 steel fuel lines 1 says "In" other says "Out". so i just replaced those and what a difference it makes with cleaner fuel.

Primerk5-
    from what i was told when i bought the truck, the guy swapped in a 6.5 from i think the 1st year they were in production (93ish?) its N/A.. mine will quit while driving, and always starts back up like you are saying.. how much was urs when u fixed it?

13. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

ok did he swap in the electric controls with the 6.5 too or did he use a different pump in it

14. tRustyK5

the 93 was a mechanical pump. The electronic version started in '94.

Rene

15. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

u beat me to it.. so is there any hi's/lo's to the mechanical??

16. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

its about 350.00 if I remember correctly. and thats if you know someone who can get it for you at cost check e-bay they are on there all the time with cooler kits attached.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STANADYNE-35976-PMD-KIT-FOR-GMC-CHEVY-6-5-LT-BRAND-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6755QQitemZ4598219064QQrdZ1
    hey this is a great price you better jump on it. It looks like it comes with a harrness to move the pmd away from the engine

17. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

there were alot of 6.5's that didn't come turbocharged. more than likely its a fuel pump problem, or maybe even your ignition switch is bad, losing power to the injection pump. check power at the large wire on top of the injection pump. Its the single wire by itself.

18. tRustyK5

Again, a PMD kit isn't going to help on a non computer 6.5...

Rene