Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel died on me?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by oletater, Jul 24, 2003.

1. oletater

oletater Registered Member

i'm goin down the road in my diesel, and it just cuts off..i try to restart it and get nothing, like the batteries are dead. i pop the hood and look around for anything loose, see nothing, try it one more time to see if i hear something that i might not have before, and it starts up! so i go down the road about a mile and it died again. it wouldn't start and i am pretty sure it drained both batteries because the volt guage was DEAD. what killed em? alternator? if thats the case why did it start again? thanks again guys

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

well with what ya listed ill try this 1
    A. your + cable is disco some were try the battery post and cover EVERY " of it till it get to the starter then
    do the same with the - cable
    B. get a test light check power at the injector pump if none get some - trace back to were u have no power try the terminal on the fire wall might be 1 or more of your ( in line fuses) are bad
    if i am right and this fix s it 4 ya your bill is 25.00 send it here to ck5 for your membership dues :-)
    good luck and let us know how it turn's out
    Randy

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

All the 12 volt power needed for the guages, starter, injection pump, etc. is taken off the main starter lug. It sounds like the battery cable is coming loose from the starter, causing the truck to lose battery voltage, just like you shut the key off. I'll bet if you crawl underneath the truck and tighten the connection at the starter, you'll solve the problem.

Casey

4. mirage

mirage Registered Member

Coming off the freeway the other day mine just died, turned out the insulation on the positive battery cable melted when it somehow started resting on the exhaust pipe. Replaced (and re-routed :-)) the cable, no more problems.